Decisions

I use Sunbelt Personal Firewall, which seems to do its job OK. However, every so often I get a dialogue box labelled "Outgoing Connection Alert" which warns me that Google Toolbar Notifier is trying to communicate with a remote computer. It asks me to permit or deny but how do I tell? It gives the remote port but that doesn't help much.

So do I permit or deny or how do I decide?

Reply to
Denis Scadeng
Loading thread data ...

Do you trust Google Toolbar Notifier, and do you know why it wants to connect out? If so, allow it.

If not, uninstall the app.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

The point is that it asks me to make a choice of permit or deny and I don't have enough information to do this. If it automatically allowed or disallowed I would trust it to make the right choice. In practice I tend to permit and wait to see if any nasties appear but that is a risky strategy.

Reply to
Denis Scadeng

formatting link
- type in the name of whatever is trying to connect and you will _usually_ get a good idea of whether it is benign or not. Just from the bits that show up on Googles page - without having to actually go and read the full articles.

You are very trusting.

Yes, *very* risky. Better / safer strategy is to deny - but do not check the 'remember this answer' box - and see if you can still do whatever you want / need to do. Then when you reboot and it asks you again, re-deny, after a day or three, if everything is still working, then - and only then

- check the 'remember this answer' box when you click deny.

Reply to
ArtDent

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.