D-Link problems

I was using a D-Link I-604 router in a home network situation (3 computers, WK2SP4 and cable modem). I've been plagued with memory leaks with ALL 3 computers when using this setup and accessing internet. Randomly, I will start to lose content on web pages (blank areas, text missing, etc)...then I will start having memory issues with MS Office (specifically Access, Excel)...as I said, this happens randomly with all computers (memory on 2 boxes is 256mb, other box is 1 gig). I have been in touch with D-Link support several times; they had me update the firmware, had me make changes to IE6 configurations, etc....nothing has worked. When I go back to Zone Alarm for my firewall; i.e., then everything (web browsing, Office apps) works fine..As a last resort, I e-mailed D-Link again, detailing whats going on....this time they never got back to me. What is interesting, is that I tried a Linkys router, and the same thing happens.....so now, I am really confused ..(maybe there are "ghosts in the machine")...any suggestions??

-joe

Reply to
Joseph Macari
Loading thread data ...

I don't see how an EXTERNAL firewall would cause programs to crash on the computer. You should still use ZoneAlarm, even with the router. It will help protect you from other computers on your net, plus control outgoing data.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I am not saying its the firewall, it just seems to be a problem with any router (no memory leaks or browser problems when I use a 4 port hub).....the only configuration that creates the problem is a router in the loop....

-thanks- joe

Reply to
Joseph Macari

I have never heard of this type of problem before. Very interesting. No matter what, memory leaks should never happen. The majority of memory leaks are bad coding (not deallocating memory that was previously allocated). That should not happen because of a router/firewall. The only thing I would check is your NIC card setting. Does your router also have builtin switch ports? If so, try hard coding everything (ie 100/Full) on you PC and router/firewall/switch. I am thinking that maybe you have a duplex missmatch. This can cause BAD packet retransmissions which might kill your poor windoze box...just a thought...something to try.

Reply to
Michael J. Pelletier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.