Copying files through a firewall from LAN to DMZ?

Hi all,

hopefully this is the right place to ask!

I need a robust method to copy image files (mainly pdf's, jpg's and tif's) from a document management system inside a corporate lan onto a dmz to enable public access over the net.

The current methodology for this is for a scheduled task on the lan side to uuencode new files and, having a sql*net rule (or MSSQL equivalent, depending on the client's preferred db) on the firewall, insert the resultant text into a field on a staging-db in the DMZ.

Another scheduled task running in the DMZ then reads the rows in the staging-db, recreates the files by unencoded them and writing them out.

However, this is prone to all sorts of errors - scheduled tasks can fail, encoding process might not work for some files, database inserts might fail, unencoding doesn't work, etc, etc.

What I really want is a single scheduled task (I don't mind where it sits - lan or DMZ) that can copy the files over without compromising the security of the lan.

Is there a secure method to open up a firewall in this way?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Reply to
neil.chinnery
Loading thread data ...

FTP works well and uses one port and works in one direction.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.