Connecting Wireless Access Point To Sonicwall TZ-170

Hi,

I recently bought a DLink DI-784 wireless router and use it as an wireless access point (WAP). Currently I have it working by connecting one of its ports to a port on my ethernet switch which is not secure. I want to connect the WAP to the OPT port on the TZ-170. What type of cable should be used; straight through or cross-over?

Thanks.

Reply to
HugeBob
Loading thread data ...

What are you talking about? What is the switch connected to?

You do know you can convert the Dlink to be a wire/wireless AP switch and use a straight through cable and connect it LAN port to LAN port from the Dlink to the TZ-170?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Why not?

Why?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Though I use a straight-through, the TZ-170 uses an Auto-MDIX switch which means you can use either Ethernet cable (straight-through or cross-over) and the TZ-170 will make the appropriate adjustment.

Reply to
Don Kelloway

My switch is connected to the LAN port and the DSL router is connected to the WAN port on the TZ-170. If I put the WAP on the OPT port I can be sure that no one can reach the LAN port via the WAP. I could configure no OPT to LAN traffic.

Reply to
HugeBob

That is correct and is what you will want to do.

Reply to
Don Kelloway

But the problem I'm having is that it's not working. I've tried connecting the WAN port on the WAP to the TZ-170 OPT port and nothing seems to be getting through. I tried connecting one of the LAN ports on the WAP to the OPT port. Still nothing. The only thing that works is WAP LAN to a free port on my switch which is what I don't want to do.

Reply to
HugeBob

Do you get a link light on both ports? If no, bad/wrong cable.

If yes, did you configure static IP addressing on both ports and assign different addresses on the same subnet? That may not be the only way to configure it, but is probably the most straightforward.

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

It sounds like you should try a cable other than the type you are currently trying to use.

Also note and assuming you can do so, ensure that it's configured to act as a wireless access point and not as a router. If it's configured as a WAP then it should be configured to assign IP's from a DHCP range that the OPT port on the TZ-170 has been configured to expect to see on the OPT port.

In summary I know you can connect a WAP to the OPT port on the TZ-170 because I currently have a Linksys WAP54G connected and it works perfectly.

Reply to
Don Kelloway

Hi,

Yup, I get OPT link lights when I connect the WAP to the TZ-170 either WAP-WAN to OPT or WAP-LAN to OPT. So, I guess I have to do some OPT configuration. I'll check this and report back.

Thanks.

Reply to
HugeBob

Ok. Everything's working now. I recorded the IP addresses that will be used on the OPT port in the TZ170 and made sure the WAP is acting as an access point.

Thanks for all your replies!!!

Reply to
HugeBob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.