Connecting to office Terminal Server from behind home Linksys router

OK, this is a bit convoluted, so bear with me.

My office allows VPN connectivity from outside the network via the Cisco VPN client. Once connected, I should be able to then use Remote Desktop to connect to a Terminal Server inside the network to manage my sites remotely. This has been tested from the office on my laptop via a separate DSL connection (going out over DSL to the internet and then porting back through the VPN). It worked fine.

At home, I connect to the internet through a Linksys 802.11b wireless router. I was able to run the Cisco VPN client and get authenticated into the office LAN (saw the welcome message and everything). But when I opened Remote Desktop and tried to connect to my server (by IP address), the connection was refused. PPtP is enabled on the Linksys router. I see nothing in the router setup that would be blocking Port

3389 traffic.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a next step? My company wants to ensure that I have connectivity to the servers in the event that a significant event (like a hurricane) prevents me from coming to the office.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Steve Thomas
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Steve Thomas) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Maybe, you need to port forward 3398 to the IP/machine. If that is the case where you need to do port forwarding, then you'll need a PFW solution on the machine, since the router will no longer provide protection on the port and a VPN connection only stops eavesdropping and cannot stop a hack attempt.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Try another Router. I had terrible problems with the Cisco VPN client and a Dlink router for a client who needed to access the Ford Motor Company VPN. This client had 2 sites and they both had the same problem which could be cured by rebooting the routers. Swapped the router on one site for a Zyxel and the problem went away so we changed the other site and that was that. Its probably got something to do with NAT but I never did get a sensible answer out of either Dlink or Cisco.

Reply to
Mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.