Configuring Visnetic for Apache 2.0.44 with a DSL connection

I'm having trouble setting up a firewall (with a decent real time log screen) that will allow access to Apache 2.0.44 through my DSL connection. I REALLY like my Visnetic 1.2 but I can't seem to get it to work.

First - I've followed the instructions in the help for DSL users:

formatting link
physical ethernet adapter is set to pass all activity and my EnterNet (PPPoE) package shows up as a dialup connection. I've applied my rules to this adapter and everything works great (except for incomming TCP on 80).

Second - I've set up a no-ip.com account and installed the Dynamic Update Client to refresh hobbyists.no-ip.org to reflect my new dynamic IP every time I connect. This works fine as well as long as I don't enable my firewall. (i.e. I can reach my server using

formatting link
when I use a computer at work). It also works just fine if I switch the configuration for the "dial-up" adapter to allow all activity rather than filtering.

Third - I've installed an anonymizing proxy (actually I've used several different ones) in Opera so I can get around the problem of having my local interactions with Apache resolved to localhost (immediately after the DNS lookup of hobbyists.no-ip.org) and therefore not going through the firewall. Here's a couple of screen captures to show that this is working fine as well: - Here's the entries after pulling up

formatting link
formatting link
- Here's after
formatting link
formatting link
the destination in both cases is the anonymizing proxy IP yet both pages come in fine)

Here's what I get after trying to reach

formatting link
formatting link
the 2 TCP connections out and then back from the proxy IP. The page does not appear in my browser. Eventually Opera times out and the proxy gives me back the "URL can not be reached" page here:
formatting link
I thought perhaps my ISP didn't allow incomming connections on port 80 but all I have to do is turn off filtering on the dialup adapter and the page comes in fine:
formatting link
I've tried reducing my firewall to allow everthing by 1. Removing blocking on all common, IP, and Other protocols:
formatting link
and 2. By adding a rule to each of the common protocol rule lists that allows everything from everywhere.
formatting link
(Notice the rule at the top of the list. There is a similar one for each of UDP, ICMP, ARP, and RARP as well)

Even in this "Null" configuration I still get the 2 connect attempts out, 2 attempts back in, and no page in my browser. I turn off the firewall (or allow all activity on the dialup adapter) and it's fine.

Any suggestions? Help? Education?

Very sincerely, thanks in advance, Hobbyist

Reply to
Hobbyist
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.