Configure DCOM client to use only a small range of ports (instead of random ports)

I have a question relating to a DCOM client connection to a server.

The scenario is as follows. The server is behind a firewall. The server brokers a connection using port 135.

The firewall configuration allows all ports out to be open, but only selected incoming ports. Incoming port 135 has been configured to be open on the firewall. The client connects to the server via a random port. With the above configuration, the client is unable to connect through the firewall.

Is there a way of configuring the port that the client uses to stop it connecting via a random port?? I would like to configure the client to use 1 (or a small range) of ports only.

any advice would be much appreciated

Reply to
bridfarran
Loading thread data ...

Better use an encrypted VPN. Don't use DCE-RPC directly here.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Take a look at the "rpccfg" utility from Windows XP Resource Kit, and the associated registry setting. It does exactly what you want:

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Thanks Sebastian, That looks like exactly what i'm looking for! I downloaded it and extracted it. But then when i ran it using the rpccfg.exe -pe 5001-5021 -d 0 (on a Windows XP computer), nothing changed. i'm using Process Explorer to monitor the ports being used and the local ports being used are still random. any clues?? Brid

Reply to
kbeigan

Thanks for your reply Sebastian, it looks like the correct tool for my application, however when i ran it (rpcfg.exe -pe 5001-5021 -d0) it doesn't make any difference to the ports being used on either the server or the client side. Any ideas why it wouldn't work?? I'm using an XP pro client and Server

2003 server. Brid
Reply to
bridfarran

The scenario you're sketching is like server and client are in different security zones. Again, you shouldn't offer DCE-RPC between them this way.

You're needing a better concept. Perhaps you want to describe the exact problem.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

The *d*evice #0 usually is the local loopback. You might use "-d 1" up to "-d 9" as well.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.