Comodo Firewall

Comodo used to prompt me all the time to allow programs to operate. Now it seems never to prompt. Is there a way to test if it's doing its job?

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

That's exactly what it's supposed to do. It's supposed to learn over time and become more silent.

If you want to test it, install a new piece of software that you trust (maybe a second or third web browser like Firefox, Opera, or Avant). The first time you run it, it should ask permission to run and to connect to the internet. If it asks, it's doing its job.

Check the ShieldsUp! service at grc.com to make sure the firewall is working properly.

Reply to
Geoff Smith

On 03/12/2009 01:48 PM, John sent:

Hello John:

Sometimes Comodo gets switched to training mode and forgotten.

System Tray > Right Click: COMODO Firewall > Mouse over: Firewall Security Level /and/ Defense + Security Level

If "Training Mode" is checked, that's why things may be quite.

HTH

Pete

Reply to
1PW

Correction: If it asks, all it means is, that the superfluous feature of alerting you about software you trust in order to give you a nice warm feeling of being in control is active.

To test if it actually does it's job is a completely different ball game.

Oh, please...

Reply to
Root Kit

You cut out the context too much, but what he was trying to say was if the firewall asks about the newly installed program (i.e. untrusted software), it means the firewall is active (or at least the part of it that alerts you when the firewall noticed a new software).

Reply to
Lie Ryan

Forget about testing this useless software!

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Kayman

why not just ignore the thread ?

Reply to
Poutnik

If you are completely opposed to software firewalls, which it sounds like you are, then you have nothing to add. Just ignore the thread. It was a simple question and a simple answer. If you think ShieldsUp! is useless, then I doubt you really know much about computer security from a Windows perspective.

Reply to
Geoff Smith

formatting link

formatting link

formatting link
Brilliant advice! Don't bother testing it. Just believe some troll on Usenet.

Reply to
Geoff Smith

formatting link
>

formatting link
>

formatting link

Like you?

You are currently sounding the most trollish around here.

Tell me, how do your "personal software firewalls" deal with malware piggy backing on legitimate applications, such as a browser, which need outbound communication to the Internet? I assume an expert, like yourself, has seen that? Here's a clue, it won't be by using your "softwre personal firewall".

Cheers,

Roy

Reply to
Slarty

formatting link
>>

formatting link
>>

formatting link
>

Did I say or imply that a software firewall is the end-all be-all of security? It is one piece. The question that began this thread was about how to know if the firewall is still doing its job since it has become more silent. Other than 1PW and me, who has offered anything constructive or helpful?

How exactly is "Forget about testing this useless software" helpful?

I don't claim to be an expert. I offered a suggestion to help someone who asked.

Reply to
G

OMN! The GRC nonsense again. Please try to understand, why "ShieldsUp" can test the network in between only, and why "making my computer invisible" is a fairy tale.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Does "Windows perspective" mean "from a fool's view"? IBTD!

VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Yeah. Most commonly a piece of shit.

If you have a concept where a host based packet filter can help, then the Windows-Firewall can be an option. Or some ipfw implementation like

formatting link
if tasks are becoming more complex.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.