Checkpoint Secure Platform and QFE

Anyone out there ever attempted to use Sun Quad Fast Ethernet (QFE) cards in Checkpoint Secure Platform boxen? If so I'd like to compare notes.

The Secure Platform Linux distribution does include a driver (sunhme), and the cards are detected by the installer, but attempting to use the interfaces yields anomalous behavior to say the least.

I'm hoping I can save a few $K by re-using QFE cards instead of buying Intel quad cards (known to work). I suspect the QFE driver is b0rked, but QFEs don't have physical MAC addresses and maybe I'm not passing MAC addresses to the driver early enough in the boot process.

TIA

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid
Loading thread data ...

Never mind, it's the driver.

I swapped in a smarter switch, one that could tell me where the MAC addresses are. It saw the MAC I assigned to eth1 on the port connected to eth5. Juggled some cables, found I can pass traffic on eth5 - but the source IP belongs to eth1. eth1 is the first port on the first QFE card, eth5 is the first port on the second QFE card.

It would seem the driver can only handle one QFE per box - it appears to be behaving much more reasonably since I removed the second QFE.

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

i had qfe-cards in use, but on nativ solari-os, not Secure Platform. no problem with it.

imho, qfe is not the same as hme.

best regards hans

Reply to
hans m42

Yes, QFEs play very nicely in Sun boxes running Sun drivers.

Close enough that the Linux driver claims to support both, but it gets very confused when there's more than one QFE - see my followup.

Thanks for your input.

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.