Checkpoint Firewall-1 altering packet data:

Good day all,

My company has a internal firewall that divides two network segments. Users on one segment (internal LAN), and a 3rd party call center service provider (isolated DMZ).

[-------------------------------] User Network | | #CP FW1# | | [--------|-------------------------------] Call Center DMZ

• User network switch = Cisco 3750

• Firewall = Checkpoint R65 (enforcement module) on Nokia IPSO 380 (version 4.2)
  • Packets are routed and _not_ NAT'd.

Users experience hanging whilst attempting to logout of one particular application (other applications function as expected). The application is known as Altitude and uses UDP port 1500.

So far i have removed any Smart Defense profiles from the Checkpoint firewall, removed the Nokia IPSO and Checkpoint clustering (only one node is active) and ensured that the generic service port for UDP 1500 does not have any "protocol type" assigned to it (UDP service properties -> "Advanced" -> "Protocol Type:" = Blank / Unassigned).

I proceeded to configure two sniffers - the first sniffer captured data generated by the user, and the second sniffer captured all data that had traversed the firewall onto the call center dmz.

I filtered out the UDP 1500 data and compared it to the packets that had traversed the firewall - and was shocked to find that the payload (data) of the packet had been altered _after_ the firewall.

I am very certain that i am viewing the _same_ packet, as the source port / IP address, destination port / IP address and the UDP checksum all match. The layer 3 / IP checksum obviously differ, as they have been regenerated by a different network card on a different network segment using the same source / destination IP.

Has anyone experienced this before? Or do i perhaps have a misguided understanding that the data portion of a packet should _not_ be altered after being retransmitted on the other side of the firewall?

Any advice greatly appreciated thanks dirk

Reply to
geemail99
Loading thread data ...

may be route in between the networks is doing that...

Reply to
Arjun

On the Nokia box run the following command: fw monitor -o problem.cap ftp the problem.cap file to a workstation. Install wireshark or ethereal (or download cpethereal from Check point

formatting link
With normal ethereal (wireshark) you need to go to edit - preferences - protocols - ethernet and check the box to "interpret as firewall-1 monitor file" Open the capture file, you'll now see 4 packets for each 1 hitting the firewall, fw monitor captures packets at "i" pre-inbound, "I" post-inbound, "o" pre-outbound and "O" post-outbound. By following the sequence and opening each instance you will prove whether or not Check Point is changing any data. Refer to "how to use fw monitor" .pdf file on the same URL as above, or from Nokia's website
formatting link
Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne McGlinn

point

formatting link
With normal ethereal (wireshark) you need to go to edit - preferences -

website

formatting link

Thank you Wayne - much appreciated i will redo the capture using fw monitor, but this may take sometime.

Have a good Australia day / long weekend ;)

Reply to
geemail99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.