Can't install basic ZA 7.1

Firstly let me say that I really don't have a dire need for a firewall since I'm behind a router and Vista's firewall provides adequate protection. However I've always liked Zone Alarm's "network activity" LED displaying in the system tray. I tried to install the newly released free 32 bit version for Vista without success. My Toshiba laptop meets all of the minimal requirements and with 2GB of RAM it's a smooth running machine. ZA seemed to install correctly and prompted me to reboot, but when I did ZA would never quite load and my CPU would show me utilizing 100% of my resources. Of course with that type of usage the laptop was virtually dead, I couldn't even open control panel. I'd reboot and get the same results. This isn't something I wanted to play around with and spend too much time troubleshooting. I suspect that this is a security problem even though I was using an Admin account. Could even have been Windows Firewall since I was never able to shut it down because at 100%........ Sure I could have disabled it from Safe-Mode but by then I was developing the "my God, what have I done" mind set. I know my way around computers and since this was nothing urgent....................

The only way I could recover was to boot into safe-mode and uninstall ZA. I think I'll wait awhile before trying ZA again on a Vista machine. Anyone know of any proven FREE firewalls for Vista.

Reply to
kenfolk
Loading thread data ...

Just use the Vista FW and if you want something that monitors connections then use Currport free and enable Vista FW's logging.

formatting link

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Thanks, never heard of that one. I'll look into it.

Reply to
Jabbo

I'm not sure where you downloaded ZA 7.1 but it wasn't from the manufacturer's site since the most current version of ZA (Free) is

7.0.337.000. If obtained elsewhere, I'd worry that you're trying to install hacked software.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.