Can Norton Internet Security 2003 Be Editing HTML Pages?

Is it possible for Norton Internet Secruity 2003 to amend an html page that a user is viewing? I am running Windows XP Home.

I ask because some of the references to the images were removed from a page I had viewed. For example

On the Web Server The HTML File Looks Like This:

In my PC's Cache, The HTML File Looks Like This:

The "img src" tag is completely gone in the html that is stored in my PC's cache. If I disable Norton Internet Security, the HTML code does not get edited before it hits the PC.

I've never had this problem before, and would appreciate any ideas on how to eliminate this problem.

Kenn

Reply to
clemke
Loading thread data ...

Reply,

OP was asking about NIS 2003 (not 2005). I don't believe it has an "Anti-Spam" component.

Reply to
Eugene F.

Yes, the "Anti-Spam" component of NIS (formerly WRQ AtGuard) acts like a transparent proxy server that modifies pages on the fly, both to block pop-up windows, and to remove ads.

Even if Anti-Spam is disabled, the proxy server is still intercepting pages and doing changes to them.

The only solution is to uninstall NIS completely, and (if you really want it) reinstall without that component.

Regards,

Reply to
Arthur Hagen

It has had that component since 2001. They've just not sold it as a separate product.

Reply to
Arthur Hagen

On Mon, 2 May 2005 15:53:22 -0400, Arthur Hagen spoketh

I'm guessing that you mean the ad-blocking component, not the spam filter, as the later applies to e-mail not web pages...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

I use Norton Personal Firewall 2003 and it will block ads with certain default dimensions. Check your log under "Content Blocking" to see it that is what has happened at this site. If so, you should be able to disable ad-blocking for that site under Options|Web Content. Note that this is for NPF 2003, but I believe from previous posts that the firewall in NIS 2003 is the same or very similar.

Reply to
Nomad

Yep. Depending on version, they're the same or different components. (For a while, Symantec like everybody else called everything either "Spam" or "Virus". Thus, "blocks pop-up-spam", "safety from trojan viruses", and other (il)logical horrors.)

Regards,

Reply to
Arthur Hagen

Thanks everyone for the excellent answers. I fournd that if I disabled Norton Ad Blocking, the site downloaded without a problem.

Someone had suggested the thumbnail dimensions of 90 pixels high x120 pixels wide are the same as a common internet advertising ad size, and that was what triggered Nortons to try to block the thumbnails. I regenerated the page with larger thumbnails, and with the larger size thumbnails the page displayed fine even with Norton Ad Block enabled.

Even though now I know how to fix the problem locally, I'll stick to larger thumbnails to help ensure the pages work with others who may be using Nortons..

Thanks again for the help solving this problem.

Kenn

Reply to
clemke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.