Browser hijack or misdirect - Please Help!

I got some lame virus that I ALMOST have exorcised from my system. One of the last remnants is this - let's say I want to go to a new site. What I do is hit Ctrl+New and open a new browser window. Then, in the browser's "Address" bar I'll type in [m-w.com] directly (Merriam-Webster's Dictionary site, to look up a word). For some unkonwn reason the browser will open to [adultgambling.org]. I'll type in [m-w.com] again and it will finally go to Merriam-Webster's site, but this happens all the time. Neither Ad-Aware, nor Spybot, nor CWShredder has found anything on my computer.

Any ideas?

Reply to
rorgeretson
Loading thread data ...

Yes, it doesn't show up under HijackThis.

Reply to
rorgeretson

What about HijackThis? Have you tried that?

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

try spybot S & D, could be spyware

Reply to
rrweis

what you have described is browser hijack, shut off or block in your privacy settings in IE, see if that helps

Reply to
rrweis

Take a look at this text file:

c:\\Windows\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\hosts

you probably should have only one rule in it

127.0.0.1 localhost

Some hacks will setup name/ip rules in here overiding anything you get from a DNS lookup!

I don't think that is what is going on for you but you should still check this file.

I think you are still hacked and the program is getting every other url you type in possibly?

I would second the recomendataion on getting the latest version of hijack this.

Great world we live in now isn't it?

Reply to
Austin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.