Block insant messenger

I am trying to find out how to block AOL instant messenger using my Linksys WRT54G router. I have tried searching the web but get a lot of conflicting and confusing information.

Can anyone help?

Reply to
Helpful person
Loading thread data ...

I guess you must have it installed, so what do you want to block? I have a handful of AOL entries in my HOSTS file that block some of Instant Messenger's garbage from appearing (like ads) but still allow it to function.

Reply to
Geyser

I wish to block instant messanger from AOL at the router.

Reply to
Helpful person

I don't know if the stock firmware will allow blocking of outbound services but DD-WRT definitely does. See dd-wrt.com to see if your hardware rev is flashable or not.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

I looked at the web site you suggested but this level of discussion is way over my head. I'm reasonably computer savvy except when it comes to communications and firewalls

Reply to
Helpful person

Welcome to comp.security.firewalls. If you're willing to learn, you'll become more savvy.

It doesn't take a lot of savvy to find the hardware compatibility list and see if your make/model of router is on it though. dd-wrt.com supported hardware tab, list of devices. Pay attention to 2nd last column and the last column for starters. You might be taxed to turn your router over and find its exact hardware revision number as well as its model number.

Installing can get a bit hairy, but there's a wiki to help you probably with your model and lead you step by step. Or sometimes it's just easier to buy a new router for testing so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

formatting link
Once installed, dd-wrt's web based config is not all that much more complex than your standard config.

Reply to
Todd H.

Thanks. I'll read the web site a little more carefully. However, Firmware upgrades scare me.

Reply to
Helpful person

Hee hee. Well, depending on your current router, not patching known security vulnerabilities in vendor provided firmware is even scarier.

$53 hedges your concerns -- put DD-WRT on this and get it ready and configured, then then physically swap your current and new router

formatting link

Best Regards,

Reply to
Todd H.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.