Block Bittorrent client

Hi..

I would like to know how to block the bittorrent client while allowing other p2p services such as a Skype & MSN Mssger in Checkpoint configuration..?

Thanks Rosdi

Reply to
rosdie
Loading thread data ...

Don't run the Bit Torrent client! Or install a software firewall like ZoneAlarm or Outpost and don't allow it outbound or inbound traffic.

Reply to
dan

What version of Checkpoint? From Version R55W on, SmartDefense has the ability to block BitTorrent traffic by identifying BitTorrent fingerprints and HTTP headers.

Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne

Because of this posting, I will ask Alex Bernauer, if he want's to implement a Torrent extension based on his wwwsh.

Thank you for the good idea!

Bit Torrent is a very good P2P network, and should be supported.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Your best bet is to block all traffic destined for port 6881.

Reply to
Dom

I don't think so.

But perhaps for downloading films. And, no, not everytime for illegal things. For example, the CCC distributes our films of the congresses as torrent.

Yes.

Yes.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

It's better to BLOCK ANYTHING you don't have a reason to not block, by default you block ALL inbound and all outbound traffic and then expose what is needed ONLY. Bit torrent is not needed by default.

Reply to
Leythos

That defense will work for all of about 30 seconds....that's about how long it will take the BitTorrent user to notice the error message in their client software & go into the program preferences to choose a different range of ports.

The only thing that would work 100% would be hardware that recognizes BitTorrent data and drop all traffic that matched the pattern.....oh, wait...that USED to work. Now all the BitTorrent clients are starting to add encryption capabilities so that gets around that defense as well.

Only sure-fire way to stop it is to lock down the offending user's machine so s/he cannot install software and then uninstall the BT client.

If one is content with just slowing down the stream of data rather than stopping it there's always QoS/bandwidth management.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.