Best sub-$500 NAT box for 80 users?

Can someone recommend a basic firewall to support about 80 users for simple outbound web surfing? aka the Linksys BEFSR41, but a little more robust. There are no servers to protect, or content filtering or AV needed, we simply want to give web access to 80 NATted PCs.

Background - from experience we've had no problems with the "original" Linksys BEFSR41 v1.41 (I think), but the "new" Cisco/Linksys BEFSR41 v3.0 is prone to lockups under heavy traffic. I also tried the Netgear FVS318 and it also was prone to lockups under heavy load.

I was considering something like the Sonicwall TZ150, but it looks like they've crippled it for only 10 users?

Thanks.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

LINUX/FREEBSD

Reply to
Michael J. Pelletier

You need to check the firmware on your V3 BEFSR41, I've got about 60 users off one and they are heavy users, they also have inbound server access that is in heavy use during peak times (VPN connections to the internal VPN server). Install the latest update.

Reply to
Leythos

Have you looked into Freesco?

Reply to
Renegade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.