Best low-cost firewall for XP? (sick of Norton)

Hi, it's time to renew my Norton Internet Security, for $30. I've had so much trouble with it crashing utilities that permit email to work, causing me to reboot, and find it impossible to get support, that I can't see why I'd pay $30 to renew it.

So, what should I use? I prefer something cheap or free, but not if it's junk. How about Zonealarm's free version?

I do have a license to McAfee Anti Virus so don't need that, just a firewall.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jim

Reply to
kroger
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
is a universal variable understood to represent whatever is being discussed.

It's usually used in examples that illustrate concepts and ideas in computer science.

For instance, a computer science professor may be discussing different file formats. In this case, he would call the generic-example file foo or foobar, then list the extensions associated with the file formats (e.g. foobar.txt, foobar.gif, foobar.exe, foobar.tar).

When foo or foobar is used, everyone understands that these are just examples, and they don't really exist.

Programmers and administrators also use foo and foobar in a similar context. Files or program s named with foo or foobar are understood not to be permanent and will be changed or deleted at anytime.

Foo, bar, and the compound foobar were commonly used at MIT, Stanford and the Helsinki University of Technology, Finland. Other generic variables are used other places, but only these three are considered universal.

One last note: hackers never use foobar to mean fubar!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Personally, I like Sygate PF, if only for all the logs I can have a peek at and see what's going on in the background. Caught quite a few tracking sites and adservers that way.

Reply to
Trinity

There are many, fortunately. Some of the most common are Kerio 2.1.5, ZoneAlarm, Sygate, and Outpost. All have free versions or are free.

Reply to
Kerodo

Salut à toi * snipped-for-privacy@princeton.edu*, tu nous disais ce mercredi

02/03/2005 dans vers 22:06:29 le mélange de mots suivant :

Kerio 2.5 is recognized as one of the best free choice.

Reply to
Michel Doucet

XP Service Pack 2 has an excellent firewall built in that does what a software firewall is supposed to do and can do reliably on a computer. It is extremely fast and does not interfere with your system in ways that any other PFW available do. It is extremely simple to configure and you won't have to wonder frequently why foobar is not working anymore.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

There's an awful lot in those logs to digest! Can you help us rank beginners figure out what it all means?

Reply to
Marshall Price

I only use the security log and traffic log. Security log will show you if one file tries to hijack another file, use it to do something it shouldn't, but two times I have only seen that happen and both times they were false readings. The traffic log is what I like because it shows all outgoing and incoming connections and I use it to catch adservers and then put them in my hosts file so I can block them. If you select an entry in the traffic log and right click it you can select backtrace which will trace it to it's destination so if you see someone trying to get into your PC that shouldn't be you can trace them from within the sygate log and then report them to their ISP if you want.

Reply to
Connected

Should you happen to try Sygate first, you may find no reason to look further. Casey

Reply to
Casey

formatting link
for Proventia Desktop

JL

Reply to
Jean-Luc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.