Best choice for free personnal firewall ?

I tried Sygate PF and I liked it except for the massive traffic log file it generated from the other two computers on my home workgroup LAN. Even though I had a rule allowing all traffic from the IP addresses of the two other computers, it logged all the traffic that it saw from them and I couldn't see a way to turn that off. I found it annoying, but you may not object to it.

Reply to
Vic Dura
Loading thread data ...

In article , Damien wrote: :I've been using Kerio Personnal Firewall v2.1.something on my win XP for :1 year or so. No problem so far, except it gets hard to manage after 1 :or 2 dozen custom rules.

Remind me not to try that one, then -- our custom rules would measure in the hundreds.

:What other free solutions are serious enough?

:Any other solution? I haven't found any :opensource solution (on sourceforge.net and google)?

formatting link
has complete source for 7 windows firewalls.

I did some analysis of one of those in a message earlier this year,

formatting link
[If my detail there seems overly dramatic, read the first message in the thread,
formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The thing is once the rules are established a rules based firewall such as Kerio is no more difficult to manage than any other firewall.

The difficult part is in setting up the rules. There are at least two sets of preconfigured Kerio rules that I am aware of... one can start with those then establish their own custom rules for their particular set of applications.

As for other free firewalls...

formatting link

Reply to
Joe Canuck

Hi to all! I've been using Kerio Personnal Firewall v2.1.something on my win XP for

1 year or so. No problem so far, except it gets hard to manage after 1 or 2 dozen custom rules.

What other free solutions are serious enough? I've heard negative critics on ZoneAlarm and the FW included in Win XP SP2, but more positive on Sygate PF? Any other solution? I haven't found any opensource solution (on sourceforge.net and google)?

Thanks in advance for your hints!

BR, Damien

Reply to
Damien

Hi Vic. Take a look at Sygate Log Viewer v1.2. You can likely set it up to fit your needs.

formatting link

Reply to
Casey

Walter Roberson a écrit : (snip)

formatting link

formatting link
]

It's not your message that seems "dramatic" to me, it's the orginal post... Wow, Black Helicopters ! Regarding your post, by "serious" I did not mean "vertuous and not prone to sending my bank pin to the police", I just meant : not crashing, not too open to worms and such, not to "fat" in my kit's memory.

Those 2 posts were worth reading though... Thanks !

Damien

Reply to
Damien

Joe Canuck a écrit : (snip)

I guess so, but I have to say theinterface is not so clear, and particularly does not allow to search, sort or filter the rules...

(snip)

Interesting collection & discussion... Thanks !

Any other impressions, or has everyone paid for a commercial solution?

Thanks again !

Damien

Reply to
Damien

Thanks Casey. I'll check it out.

Regards, Vic Dura

Reply to
Vic Dura

I just checked Sygate Log Viewer and it is very nice. It really helps a lot. Thanks for the referral. I'll be leaving the author a donation to support further development.

Regards, Vic Dura

Reply to
Vic Dura

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.