Bad Experience Online Armor Premium 64 bit

Win 7 64 bit - Microsoft Outlook 2010

Concerned that Windows firewall and an ancient Linksys NAT router might not be enough, I started researching firewalls once again. I've not used one since Sygate.

Since I run Nod 32 AV very happily, and SAS, also happily, I was looking for something that was ONLY a firewall and would be light on resources.

I chose OA Premium - the paid version (trial) because of the addition of an anti-keylogger and one or two other things. OA had just recently come out with their 64 bit version for Win 7, so I figured I was ok.

The first thing that happened was that one of my Outlook account data files which uses a different server from the other accounts, became corrupted. Fortunately I backup every night.

I use Dragon Naturally Speaking. The speech files wouldn't load because they were corrupted. Again, my backup saved the day.

Then I started getting errors from NOD32 and discovered that the OA forum has some posts about problems between the two. Some posters actually dumped NOD - but I'm not willing to do that.

The banking mode function simply didn't work and I found posts about this in the OA forum as well.

I've now removed the OA trial version, used system restore to go back to the point right before I installed it (I'd made a restore point), and restored my data files from external backup. All appears to be functioning properly again. And of course, I'm back to Windows Firewall!

My impression is that OA Premium 64 bit was not ready for prime time and they rushed it out, causing me (personally), many frustrated hours of restoring my machine.

Has anyone had experiences with OA Premium 64 bit on Win 7 with Office 2010?

Comodo doesn't appeal because of their linked AV. Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks.

Louise

Reply to
louise
Loading thread data ...

[ Personal Firewall Troubles: *snip* ]

Go back to the Windows Firewall. And if the firmware on your Linksys router is kept up-to-date and properly configured, you won't need even that.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

COMODO's free personal fire wall is not coupled with their antivirus product in the following version:

HTH

Reply to
1PW

How does one keep a router up to date? Are there firmware updates I don't know about?

Thanks.

Louise

Reply to
louise

By updating the firmware?

I don't know what you know about, but Cisco does supply firmware updates for Linksys routers.

Another option would be to use alternative firmwares like OpenWRT or Tomato.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

On 31 Oct 2010, louise wrote in comp.security.firewalls:

You didn't say what model router you have, so we would have no way of knowing. Check with Linksys.

Reply to
Nil

I have a WRT54GX Wireless G Broadband Router with SRX

Louise

Reply to
louise

On 01 Nov 2010, louise wrote in comp.security.firewalls:

Like I said, check with Linksys.

formatting link

Reply to
Nil

I had weird symptoms when tested Comodo 5. My network connection was otherwise fine but frequently it would drop to "access: local only" . Tried every trick i could find and none of them helped. Maybe some Vista 64bit bug or some conflict with Avast's shields?. But maybe Sphinx soft's Win7 firewall control is enough when behind router with Nat & spi?

Reply to
blue smurf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.