Attachments & inline images stripped off

Recently upgraded XP Home to SP2. Since then I cannot receive attachments and in-line images. I use Thunderbird for email, ZoneAlarm, AVG & Spyware Doctor. Since this started happening I've attempted to receive HTML emails via Outlook Express but exactly the same happens. Thinking it might the firewall I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and used the built in Windows Firewall - same problem. I re-installed ZoneAlarm and switched off the Windows one. Same problem! I looked through all the config options in ZoneAlarm but can find nothing that seems to apply. All emails I receive are now in Plain Text and any attachments are stripped off. Since the emails are only 2-3k in size the images/attachments have obviously been stripped of before they get to my email program. Any ideas most welcome

Reply to
Ben Hardy
Loading thread data ...

ZoneAlarm's purpose is to randomly cripple your network functionality. Why do you complain that it's working as supposed?

Huh, so ZoneAlarm actually protected you from using OE by chance? :-)

Did you carefully check if it was totally uninstalled and that the additional changes wree reverted?

Making the same mistake twice.

Let me guess: You don't use SSL/TLS to secure your connection? Then at least you'd delude all local programs from proxying it.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

And this is helpful? You will notice I said that the problem remained after ZoneAlarm was uninstalled (and yes I did check that it had totally gone). Semms to me that the problem may lie with Windows Firewall but I'm unwilling connect with that disabled as well.

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

Reply to
Ben Hardy

How careful? Did you check Device Manager for drivers and for LSA hooks?

I am, but well, Windows Firewall would be a very unlikely cause because it doesn't even implement such functionalities.

Now did you try using an encrypted connection to at least bypass all potentially filtering local programs? And then please understand that this should be the modus operandi of your preference.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Use Outlook Express to subscribe to some Microsoft Newsgroups for XP. You might find lots of people there had problems updating.

My OE6 has a Read Tab in the Options app. that sometimes gets checked (Read all messages in Plain Text), during an update. Thunderbird must have such an option too.

Does your ZoneAlarm have MailSafe checked? That could cause the problem. Turn off Email scanning in AVG. That can cause lots of problems. Your emails will still be protected. Give Google a try, and checkout the Microsoft Newsgroups. Good luck.

charlie R

Reply to
charlie R

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.