Anyone Have Mail Alerts Working in Firewall-1 Windows Version?

Has anyone managed to make Mail Alerts work in Firewall-1 Windows Version? Firewall-1 has a bin directory with its own utilities, including one with a sendmail whose syntax is something like:

sendmail -s 'some subject here' -t 200.200.200.10 -f snipped-for-privacy@domain.com snipped-for-privacy@domain.com

You put that command onto the command line and execute it and standard in is directed to the utility. I have tried entering valid RFC-822 headers, and nothing happens when you end the command.

I have tried pasting the above into the mail alert edit text in the Firewall-1 Properties for Logs and Alerts for mail alerts, and when a mail alert is logged, no mail is being sent out.

Is there a trick to making this work?

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Will wrote: : Has anyone managed to make Mail Alerts work in Firewall-1 Windows Version? : Firewall-1 has a bin directory with its own utilities, including one with a : sendmail whose syntax is something like:

: sendmail -s 'some subject here' -t 200.200.200.10 -f snipped-for-privacy@domain.com : snipped-for-privacy@domain.com

[....]

: Is there a trick to making this work?

Whatever data you pipe to this command will go into the body of the mail that is sent. What version of fw1 are you using? I haven't used this feature in a few years, but it used to be working.

Lars

Reply to
larstr

snipped-for-privacy@domain.com

So I went ahead and piped a file to the sendmail command above, and the command immediately completes with no errors reported. In the sendmail log on the SMTP host, however, there is no activity. The Firewall log also shows no activity. The command is being issued from the console of the Firewall-1 firewall. That test network uses version 4.0.

I manually telnet to port 25 on the same box and type help, and all of that activity immediately shows in the sendmail log. The Firewall-1 log immediately shows a connection.

So connectivity to the sendmail box is in place. The sendmail command included with Firewall-1 however is apparently not attempting the connection.

Reply to
Will

Instead of using the defective sendmail.exe that comes with firewall-1, I installed one that worked to a separate path on the boot device and tested it successfully on the command line. It works.

I then added this new sendmail with an explicit path to its location into the mail alert entry in the Properties Logs and Alerts dialog in Firewall-1. It never gets invoked during a mail alert, or if it does there is an error.

Is there a firm requirement that all binaries executed from this dialog be physically located in Firewall-1's bin directory?

Reply to
Will

I solved this one. Basically, if there is any syntax error in the Mail Alert Firewall-1 simply doesn't report it in the log except by making the Alert line appear red. Firewall-1 had converted double quotes to single quotes, which violated the syntax of the replacement sendmail utility I had chosen. I simplified the command to not require any quotes, and then it suddenly started to work.

Reply to
Will

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.