AlphaShield Personal Hardware Firewall

I just installed the AlphaSheild Personal Hardware Firewall. AlphaShield supplies a utility that allows me to open any port through the firewall. Tech Support at AlphaShield said that any port can be opened with this utility, and that I had set up the open port properly with the utility. I tried opening port 23. The Sheilds Up security website, though, indicates that all of my ports are stealthed. Wouldn't Sheilds Up detect any open port? The WindowsXP SP2 firewall is disabled and I have no other firewall running. The only other security software that I have running is Norton Antivirus 2007 and Sunbelt Counterspy, which I don't believe can affect port protection or control.The hardware firewall is situated between my Comcast cable modem and my PC. Am I misunderstanding something here about opening ports? Please educate me

Reply to
None
Loading thread data ...

No. ShieldsUp is a lousy implementation of a horrible misconception of a well-known fool.

AFAIK the Norton Antivirus junk had a packet filter included since version

2003 or so.

Maybe. I dunno how your cable modem is implemented, and I don't if this AlphaShield thingy is configured as a routing firewall.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

They advertise that it has a 100% hackproof guarantee. Apparently, no one has been able to hack into anyones system through this firewall (Please don't use me to test that claim, I'm just saying that that is what they claim).

The URL for the firewall is: http//

formatting link
Do you know of any website where port status can be reliably tested after I temporarily disable NAV?

Sebastian G. wrote:

Reply to
None

I do the same for my Knipex firewall. (Knipex is a well-known cable cutting tool.)

Apparently no one has ever tried.

Try .

Reply to
Sebastian G.

I would start with not using other peoples e-mail addresses! NowHere.com is a registered domain of Burda GmbH. I strongly believe that you are not associated, not affiliated nor otherwise have authorization to use their domain or their e-mail addresses for your purposes. All you do is spam their e-mail addresses! Please stop that immediately!

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Reply to
None

Sorry. You are not supposed to post to any group with any faked e-mail address. Just register some e-mail address with yahoo, hotmail, or whatever else you like. There are also services which provide e-mail addresses and filter spams automatically.

Would you help someone who comes cloaked, with faked identity pretending to be somebody else?

Would you be happy if someone else used YOUR real e-mail address or some address in one of YOUR domains?

Would you be happy if due to that you receive hundreds of spam mails because these usenet groups are frequently harvested by spammers?

And it is no use whining about that. As you don't give a real e-mail address it is impossible to tell you this offline. It must be posted...

Just stop using faked e-mail addresses. It is one of important rules when posting to usenet.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

You half-witted insignificant gob of rancid mucus .........

Oh sorry, you wanted _help_ - this is the _abuse_ forum! Help is that way ->

;^)

(apologies to Monty Python)

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

That's a position I have never seen stated before. From what I can tell many people intentionally use a fake email address on Usenet precisely because addresses are harvested. Any real email address/account made visible on Usenet is rendered useless by spam and malware in short order, so what is the point? How does using a real address demonstrate the authenticity of the user? My email address is fake, but only for the above stated reasons and not because I am pretending to be someone I'm not or because I wish harm to others.

Reply to
Victek

By using an email address with domain xyz.com you do harm to the owner of that domain. You generate spam traffic to that domain on that email address. As you wrote yourself, "any real email address[...] made visible on Usenet is rendered useless by spam[...]". If you want to protect yourself from spam why do you direct it simply to someone else? And even if the actual email address you have used now is not in use at the moment it may be used in the future (e.g. if they activate a catch all address) and it also generates delivery attempts to the mail server of that domain, i.e. unnecessary traffic.

You want to protect yourself from spam and make other people suffer for that by using a real email address which does not belong to you.

You use a domain name to which you are not associated nor affiliated to.

How would I know that this is not real?

If you believe that it is so important that noone is able to contact you then use a domain name which does not exist or is reserved for other purposes and will never has any mail delivered, e.g. example.com or .invalid. See

formatting link
for more details.

Still, a working e-mail address which you read has many advantages because, for instance, we could take this conversion here off the group because it is off-topic. Obviously, I can't because there is no e-mail address to which I could send you an e-mail.

You could either get an e-mail address with a good spam filtering service. I use spamcop which filters spams out and even allows me to report those spam e-mails to ISPs. (We don't have to discuss here whether this helps or not...) I use this e-mail only in not so important places like here thus in case some non-spam gets filtered out it is not so important.

Of course, you could also simply subscribe to Yahoo, Hotmail or any other free mail service. Use that e-mail address for things like usenet posts until you'll find that it is too much spam. Then let it sleep and get a different one. Then at least the spam e-mails arrive at services which deal with those at large scale and not a small domain with a small mail server...

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

You make valid points and I agree. When I created the fake email address " snipped-for-privacy@xyz.com it didn't occur to me that it was actually a valid domain. For the time being I have changed this to snipped-for-privacy@xyz.invalid. I will consider your suggestion of setting up a valid account just for Usenet posting. I used a Yahoo email address for a time until the spam became so bad that it was impossible to see the valid email. Under those circumstances no one who responded to a Usenet post would be able to reach me in spite of the address being valid. That was some time ago though and perhaps spam filtering is more effective now...

Reply to
Victek

$ host xyz.com xyz.com has address 64.146.134.38 xyz.com mail is handled by 10 penguin.xyz.com. xyz.com mail is handled by 20 mail.xyz.com.

Does not matter even if it is not a valid domain, the domain may become valid later.

Here you can use these if you like snipped-for-privacy@mouse-potato.com snipped-for-privacy@nomail.afraid.org

You can check out the domain ip address with the ping command.

The sad part is victek will be scraped and used on valid domains by spammers which will aggravate victek@some_other.domain

Reply to
Bit Twister

Hi,

Wrong. I use this address since ages.

Fake as you want, but make sure, that you do not use addresses owned by others.

So why do you do harm to the owner of xyz.com? Michael Galassi receives all the spam you are not getting because you do not control the domain.

Get a free account somewhere and use it as spamtrap.

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

I guess that's why I sometimes get bounces of email that doesn't originate from me. I've been pretty slap-happy in exposing my real address on the net for years and really ought to change it!

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

Yeah, what's the point? You're not supposed to provide any mail address that you actually read, you're free to provide the address of a mailbox that simply deletes every incoming mail, fully distinct from the mail addresses you actually use for communication.

The purpose of this is to avoid error messages at the MUA.

But you do. You're sending Michael Galassi, the owner of xyz.com, all your bounces.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

I tried sending you my reply via eMail, but my MUA only told me that the address is invalid. Is it fun to cause errors like this?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

OK, is this better now?

Reply to
Victek

No.

Why don't you use an .invalid adress?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Gerald Vogt wrote in news:5954dcdd-c014-4069-a8a2- snipped-for-privacy@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Gerald, shut your cakehole.

Reply to
ChronJob

Munging Your Email Address

formatting link
How to mung your email address for newsgroups (Without causing harm to someone else)
formatting link
Address Munging FAQ: "Spam-Blocking" Your Email Address
formatting link
Avoiding Spam
formatting link

Reply to
Kayman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.