Allow an access point for customers separate from business network

If I'm in the wrong group, or if there is a group better suited to addressing this question, please let me know and I will repost there.

We have a small business (art school for kids) and we want to allow customers to use our internet access as a perk when they are waiting. I am somewhat network savvy, so I understand the basic concepts of routing, switching, firewalls, etc., but I'm not so savvy that I know the available equipment and intricacies of each. IOW, I'm not exactly a n00b, but then I'm not an expert either otherwise I wouldn't be asking.....

We just got DSL at our business. We have a Siemens DSL modem that is currently hard-wired to our computer. I'd like to be able to connect one or two more computers to this computer and the internet, and these can either be wired or wireless. Additionally I'd like to be able to provide a wireless access point for our customers separate from the business network.

If I understand my requirements correctly, what I think I need is a small router that can separate the two networks, and wireless switch for the customer access point. What I don't know is if a wireless router can do both jobs.

My home network is a wireless router (2Wire 1000HW) that is fairly well locked down. I use a 128 bit WEP and I don't broadcast the network name to keep casual attackers out. The advanced settings allow for public access to the network from the internet (disabled), a bridge network to allow broadband IP addresses to be used on the local network (also disabled, but not sure what this means), and a private network with DHCP addresses.

A pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

r

michael

Reply to
micalk
Loading thread data ...

Purchase a D-Link DFL-700 Router, it has two network jacks (well 3 if you count the WAN), one for LAN (your internal network) and DMZ for external/isolated connections.

If you setup the AP in the DMZ then guests to your network won't be able to access your local LAN computers/network, but they will be able to access the internet.

If you use any other method, where they are not isolated networks, you run a BIG risk that someone accessing the AP will compromise your network.

Reply to
Leythos

Where's the lock?

Yeah, sure. Even scriptkiddies know how to use NetStumbler and AirCrack.

WPAv2, IEEE 802.11i, IPsec, VPN

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Hi,

First of all, i'd advice you to add a switch with VLAN capability to totally isolate your business network from your public network. I mean this is the right way to do it . you can find some enterprise level access points that support VLANs over wireless, and i would also advice you to go for WPA-PSK at least ;with a really random pass-key. WEP is crackable in 5-10 mins max, even if you shutdown SSID broadcast.

cheers Zuhair Al-Zubaidi

Reply to
Zuhair Al-Zubaidi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.