Affordable UTM/IPS?

We are a small company that co-lo's currently two 1U servers with a 16 IP Block. We are now doing enough business to justify getting some type of protection in front of our web/database servers (ecommerce) other than just iptables.

In the height of our busy season, we will get close to 4 million hits in a month and about 30-40GB of actual data movement over the Internet pipe.

Primary purpose of the box would be to do firewall/IPS activity. Anti- Virus scans on inbound mail would be a plus, but not necessary. Same with one P2P VPN, but again, not necessary. We do not need all the desktop AV, Spyware, etc... features as the box will not be located in our office, just in front of our servers.

Budget is around $1,000 +/- a few bucks. Do not want anything like Linksys or Dlink, but at the same time, we are not going to be purchasing Cisco ASA's.

Any input would be appreciated.

Reply to
Xao
Loading thread data ...

Spend the money and get a WatchGuard X550e unit - has all that you want and reports.

Reply to
Leythos

I've been very impressed with the IBM ISS Proventia Network MFS MX1004 hits your points, though I don't have a current price on it:

formatting link
formatting link
Its IPS functionality makes an ASA look positively pedestrian. Excellent signature and behavior based AV. Has web filtering if you want to use it.

Best Regards,

Reply to
Todd H.

Yeah, at almost $15k, I would be impressed too. :) Sorry that's out of our price range.

I just came across the SonicWall PRO 1260. Looks intriguing with the built in switch, which would be perfect in our co-lo cabinet. Anyone have any experience with it?

Reply to
Xao

Fortunately you're quite mistaken. The MX1004 is about $1500 or less depending on the discount you manage. The price you quote sounds like Proventia G class stuff. The signatures are identical in these MX1004's though, and for your speed needs, they'll handle it tidily.

Recent review:

formatting link

Reply to
Todd H.

I recommend either the Juniper SSG or Check Point safe@office appliance. Outta the two the safe@ is the best value for mine. For under $1000 you will be able to handle up to 190/35 Mbps + AV inspection. For more info see this link

formatting link
I would buy from either Dimension Data or IBM, Both are global CP partners and get the best buy price.

Cheers, Luke

Reply to
biglaz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.