Advice for a newbie please

Good morning,

I have a zoom ethernet adsl modem

I also have a netgear wireless router.

The modem plugs into the wan port of the router and my PC's wired and wireless access the internet via the router. All very straight forward.

However, I need to open up a port (80) so I can remotely access an application on one of my PC's

I have become totally confused by the separation of the modem and the router.

Can anyone advise what ports I need to open what to point to...

ie do I open up port 80 and point to my routers gateway and then pont from router gateway to the pc in question...? Or do i point straight from the modem to the pc in question...

Many thanks for your help !

Reply to
andrewstanton
Loading thread data ...

It's called port forwarding on the router where you open the port on the router to let unsolicited inbound on the port and forward the traffic to a private side LAN IP/machine, which should be a static IP on the router that the computer is using. And what port that needs to be open is based on the inbound port or ports(s) the software document indicates. Netgear should have a Website Knowledge base with this information and how to configure the router and the computer to use a static IP on the router.

formatting link
And if you have a personal FW running on the machine, you'll have to open the port or ports there too.

In order for you to make contact, with you network, you need to point to the public IP the modem is using from the ISP.

You should keep this in mind. If you're trying to make contact with your network from work and it's not authorized, that may be trouble for you as the FW Admin will stop something like that.

Keep the machine out of the DMZ.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Duane Arnold" wrote in message news:WbQMg.9440$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...

All important stuff there, and I would like to add some considerations.

Looks like you want to run a web server. Apache? IIS? Some ISP's do not allow any incoming traffic on port 80 - this is to (help) prevent customers running web servers from what is supposed to be a consumer, web surfing only connection. If you can not get incoming connections on port 80 and you still want to run a server, you have to choose another port such as 8080. You can set the router to 'forward' requests arriving as x.x.x.x:8080 to 192.168.0.80 (or any specific internal ip address), port 80 (or any port you choose which your server program will tolerate) Remember that x.x.x.x is not a permanent address, so if you will have a number of people connecting you should get a domain name and use a forwarder who can handle dynamic dns and alternate ports. Thus a request to mydomain.com(default port 80) changes to x.x.x.x:8080, then your router will change it again. If you wish you can e-mail me for the details. I would advise that you make sure there is nothing of value on the server machine. In my opinion, you don't need a firewall running in that machine, as it is only receiving requests on port 80, and the server is supposed to be able to handle any request. You can also use the DMZ method, or in my case, my ISP allows two (or more) ip addresses so I have one for the router and another, totally unprotected one for the web server. The server has its own firewall with specific instructions and services tuned to those needs. In this case, the modem connects to a hub, and the router and web server plug into the hub and talk directly to the modem.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.