A password problem about Zone Alarm.. really need help!

A password problem about Zone Alarm.. really need help!

I have a serious pity problem. I use Zone alarm and have set a password previously. However, I just have forgotten the password already. I am not autourised by the firewall to uninstall itself. What can I do to control the settings again?

Reply to
captain
Loading thread data ...

Are you able to uninstall ZA? If yoy can, then I would a re-install.

Reply to
Anonymous

formatting link
Hm... what am I doing here? Giving Zone Alarm support? Please read the FAQ yourself, Moron!

BTW: did you know, that you don't need Zone Alarm at all? ;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

If he is able to uninstall Zone Alarm without the password, he should know enough about Windows and security systems, that he knows, he better should not use a "Personal Firewall".

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Gee, a firewall poster with a flame attached. I am glad you never lost a PW in your life and I for one think an outgoing monitor is handy.

BTJMO

Reply to
Cliff Wild

When I'll do, be sure first I will read the FAQ.

Yes. And useless.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Each time I install something I am informed of exactly what app wants to connect to what location on the net. I can allow or deny. PFWs also allow configuration of installations regarding connectivity. If not for PFWs then I see no way of telling as FAST. Maybe you have no use for this but I bet many others do. I will take your point as you yourself not needing one and finding them useless.

Reply to
John

No, that's not true.

Each time you're installing something, which lets you control it, you're informed. Each time, you're installing something, which does not want to be controlled, you're not informed.

No "Personal Firewall" can control software you're installing, if this software does not want to be controlled.

So you just have the illusion, that you're in control.

It's only an illusion, because especially those things have to be controlled, which don't want to be controlled.

You may have other usage for "Personal Firewalls" than for security purposes. This I will not discuss here. This is a security group. Here I will reference security without explicitely telling you.

BTW: this is, what providers of "Personal Firewalls" are selling: the illusion to be in control. They're selling dreams.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I don't see how this is a security group if it says firewalls then it is firewalls regardless if security or other things are included.

I still don't see you as making any sense. I don't set any warning other than my PFW telling me if any part of what I am installing wants to monitor my keystrokes. If I have a keylogger or spyware how do you tell other than running a scan which takes longer than a pop-up.

Reply to
Cliff Wild

Have a look on the _name_ of the group, please.

This is technically not possible to do realiably. For example, there are hardware keyloggers. If we're talking about software keyloggers, I personally would implement them in kernel space. There they cannot be controlled by any software program, which is running on the same machine by concept.

So if you're installing software on Microsoft Windows, then usually you have to do this with administrative rights. And then your "Personal Firewall" loses anyway, if in doubt.

I already showed, how easy it is to communicate ignoring "outbound control" of "Personal Firewalls". Exactly _not_ _a_ _single_ "Personal Firewall" managed to prevent this. You can find my PoCs for this topic, if you're searching in this group.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

The name of this group is comp.SECURITY.firewalls for a reason.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.