64-Bit Software Firewall

I started a topic on this before but it got nowhere. Does anyone know of any decent Windows XP x64 Compatible Firewalls, akin to ZoneAlarm?

Reply to
Grimscythe
Loading thread data ...

Ask yourself why this is.

Why are you still asking for firewalls if you actually want to implement a host-based packet filter?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

want to implement a

Because a firewall, is still a firewall, even if it's a PERSONAL Firewall.

Reply to
Grimscythe

want to implement a

and a half dozen poster in this group will tell you they are trash and should be avoided.

Reply to
Casey

want to implement a

But a "personal firewall" is no firewall, no matter how much you claim it. Get a grip on the concept of a firewall.

Actually all "personal firewalls" are absolutely unsuitable to build any firewalls.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

: But a "personal firewall" is no firewall, no matter how much you claim it. : Get a grip on the concept of a firewall.

: Actually all "personal firewalls" are absolutely unsuitable to build any : firewalls.

Are you indicating that personal firewalls has no place? No market? Does nothing for the average home user? IMHO I believe that application aware personal firewalls are there for a reason and does something good, even if they're not traditional stateful firewalls/packet filters. The internet is a jungle, and in the jungle there are many dangerous animals. ;)

Lars

Reply to
larstr

Well, one could call computer esoteric a market. But nothing serious.

Exactly.

Oh, another misguided analog vs. digital world comparison?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote: : > The internet is a jungle, and in the jungle there are many dangerous : > animals.

: Oh, another misguided analog vs. digital world comparison?

That analogy might not be entirely correct, but it sounds to like you're saying that the internet is not so dangerous. That the number of attacks/traps are not so much. That the users are all fully educated on security related topics, not running windows and not having problems in any of these security related areas? That your aunt havent called you because her computer has started acting weirdly after her 14 year old son has been using it and filling it up with all kinds of unwanted stuff.

Lars

-- Hit any user to continue.

Reply to
larstr

Try

formatting link
. Their AVG + firewall product has supported x64 since v7.0.

Reply to
Tom Joyce

supported x64 since

That's what I'm using right now but it gives me an error message saying that the firewall won't work properly since I have more than one network adapter. On another note: Sebastian, I didn't ask for a lesson on what a firewall is, I simply asked for suggestions of a personal firewall because I don't need a full Hardware Firewall like the Cisco Pix. Programs like ZoneAlarm have served me very well on my old 32-bit PC and I'd like to stick with them now.

Reply to
Grimscythe

No, just that no system has to be vulnerable in first place, thus the default assumption is a correct system (only intertwinned with random, but no systematic errors).

Nah, that's exactly the problem. User-inducted problems making secure technology being used in an insecure manner. You can hardly discuss about that in technical terms, but rather in psychology.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

How have they served you any better than the one that already comes built into the OS? You already have a firewall in your router so why do you feel you need another one wasting resources and causing connectivity issues?

Reply to
Crispy Critter

the one that already comes built

Simply because Windows Firewall is inadequate for my uses. I need outbound connections being scanned as well as inbound.

Reply to
Grimscythe

the one that already comes built

I does scan outbound connections.

Anyway, ZoneAlarm never served you well. And you not noticing, not even trying to notice them by an audit, shows that you don't have the technical competence to make such judgements.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

This article should enlighten you as to the value of 3rd party software firewalls.

formatting link

Reply to
Crispy Critter

Just to add a recent experience:

A user had ZoneAlarm installed and got problems connecting to an FTP server in an Ethernet LAN. He allowed all programs, even turned it off completely, but at best the connection worked only with Mozilla in Passive Mode - all other FTP clients didn't work at all.

Uninstallation solved the problem easily.

Not that anyone wondered, currently all PFWs are totally broken.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

It seems to be very difficult to achive, that also the last booby realizes, that "controlling outbound" is not only a b0rken concept, but also does not work at all.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Is it, blocking on user works in some system and quite well. It's also usefull. For exsampe on a border machine, put a rule like.

block out proto { tcp, udp } from any to 10/8 pass out proto { tcp, udp } from any to 10/8 \\ user { < 1000, myuser } keep state

And you have blocked the 10 network from the "users". However the "personal-firewall" stuff that mostly is added in windows is mostly useless.

/ Balp

Reply to
Anders Arnholm

than the one that already comes built

First of all, I did run several "audits" on my pc and all of them claimed that my pc was secure. But anyway, if you believe that personal firewalls are so horrid, why don't you give me a suggestion as to what I should be using. I have a hardware firewall built into my router but it's not very customizable as far as I can see.

Reply to
Grimscythe

What kind of audits?

Eh.... nothing at all? I admit, most people have problems understanding that there's technically no need for any firewall for home users, and that they're fallen for marketing crap.

Especially with such a misconception.

It usually isn't, indeed.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.