3COM OFFICECONNECT ISSUE

Hi,

I'm Giuliano, and I'm Italian developer.

Since years i got an OFFICE CONNECT VPN FIREWALL that have this known issue:

The firwall freeze or reboot under an attack attempt.

I tought a "real firewall" does not have to freeze o reboot but (eventually) to log the attack.

You can find some useful informations at

formatting link
First, altought I am a little bit expert in this kind of things, I tought that was my problem configuring the appliance, but trying a large number of configuration I had not solve the problem right now.

In the latest year i contact many times 3Com assistance explaining that the problem is not only mine but many people have bought this item have the same problem, so it is necessary a patch.

I explained them I trust in 3Com appliances since many years (I've bought a lot of 3Com brand) and I was asking a generic patch to solve the problem (if it wold be possible).

They always ask me in this way:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear Giuliano,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, 3CR870-95 with SN:

75NV399BBC660 is out of 90 days technical support warranty. So it is not entitled for technical support. You have 3 options for solving your issue:

1. Please go to 3com knowledge base web site: 3kb.3com.com to find your solutions.

1. Please contact your reseller for advice.
  2. You can pay for chargeable service.

If you think it is defective part, please advise us and ask RMA.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to e-mail or call us.

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in 3Com.

Sincerely,

3COM e-Support Team

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't place a rma couse i can't know if there is a Faulty Part in the firewall and i am not able to verify microelectronics inside the firewall !!!

The firewall works good except in the main important moment when there is an attack.

I think it have a software bug then it freeze under attack!!!

But seems 3com don't want to solve the problem (or they do not know how to solve the problem).

Then.. any kind of help is appreciated.

thanks guys.

Giuliano.

Reply to
info
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what other kind of advice you're going to get than the obvious, buy another (real) firewall. Something like a Watchguard or a Fortigate or a NetScreen that is built as a true firewall appliance. Not a Linksys, D-Link, or 3-com most of which are really just gateway network devices with a few added features.

Hint, they should cost more than $500.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Or a simple PC with *BSD or GNU/Linux.

No. And it's a very good idea to have two of them, if high availability is required.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Most people that post a question like the OP did aren't capable of setting up such a thing, that's why the OP asked for an appliance solution. If he were capable of such a thing, and capable of managing it, then indeed that would be a viable solution.

Excellent: Please tell us which firewall appliance can handle full blown DOS attacks at 10Mbps in high availablity mode for less than $500.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Hi,

First, thanks to all that are trying to help me.

Maybe i'm able to setup a linux firewall but i don't have time to manage it and sincerily

i think using a pc only to be a firewall is charging too much costs.. this pc may be always on and need assistance more than an appliance.

in some cases it is necessary (if you like to perform some queries on incoming or outgoing traffic to see if someone try to hack your security)

but in my case i need only a simple report of attacks (to demonstrate my supplier wan is not very secure) and in first line i want a firewall that not freeze...

plus, i got not much space in my "little" :) farm so i can't plug pcs anymore... so it is very useful to have an appliance.

cost of this 3Com firewall ? about 300USD

i think i had kick out of window theese money !

maybe a ZyxEl firewall works better.

but for the moment i try to patch searching if someone has a patch for this 3com appliance that prevent firewall to freeze ;)

again, thanks to everyone.

Giuliano.

Reply to
gocosoftware

If a person is not capable to fully understand what's going on, she/he should not set up a firewalling implementation. Instead, it would be a good idea to mandate someone, who has clue of this.

None. And none for more than 500 USD. Or: tell me how to "handle" a full blown HTTP DDoS, for example.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I have an older Toshiba laptop running Endian firewall. Total costs ~30 USD for a couple of cheap 10/100 PCMCIA nics. The OS is the exact same thing they will be using on their appliances when it comes out soon.

It has full logging capabilities with IDS.

For all practical purposes this is an appliance. Takes up very little space, built-in console, and built-in battery backup!

Mine is about a tenth of that.

Reply to
Rod Engelsman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.