2Wire 1000HG - help using internal static address as port forwarding destintation

I am trying to help a client. Basic problem is that with the SBC provided 2wire ADSL/router he has, I seem unable to use a static assigned IP address as a port forwarding destination, as it does not "appear" on the device list the "Home network" page, as opposed to devices that are DHCP (dynamically) assigned an address.

2Wire quickly responsed to my email, but frankly, their answer sounds a bit odd. I've requested followup, but haven't had any (yet.) This is an important client who is a distance from my home, and I can't afford to be "experimenting" as I don't wan't to errode his confidence in me. Unfortunately, I don't have the same equipment to test.

Below is my conversation to date with 2Wire -- is there a kind soul who can help me verify their "solution"?

Thanks,

d.

===================

{MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE}

I'm having trouble configuring my 1800HG to use a device using a static address as a port forwarding destination.

Internally, I can reach the static address device without a problem.

THe problem seems to get the device to appear in the list of devices on the "Home Network" page. Without this, the device doesn't appear in the list of devices "Choose the computer that will host applications" on the "Edit firwall setttings" page.

Is there a way to get a static address device to appear on this list, so I can complete the port forwading instructions?

THank you

d. ===================

{REPLY}

Dear D,

Thank you for contacting 2Wire Customer Support. The following is intended to answer your inquiry:

Try these steps.

Assign the device an IP address between 192.168.1.33 and 192.168.1.62. Turn the device off then back on to renew its address with your Home Gateway. You should be now able to see that device in the Home Network list to configure it.

If this response has not answered your question or resolved your issue you may visit our support Website at

formatting link
or reply to this email.

Thank You, John C.

2Wire Customer Support
formatting link

=======================

{{My followup}}

Thank you for your prompt response.

Because this setup is not near my home (this is for a client), I'd appreciate if you would explain the special significance of the address range 192.168.1.33 thru 192.168.1.62, as I couldn't find any in the documentation. Is there a special (undoumented) error or limitation requireing the use of that range only?

Thank you.

d.

Reply to
google
Loading thread data ...

Thanks, but I add already had that info, and it doesn't address how to get a static device recognized, so port fortwarding to the device can be set up.

After i sent a second message to the tech support questioning the accuracy of the first response, I got a message back stating that "Sorry, its not possible to port forward to a static address."

I'm still betting there is a "hidden" method, but oh well.

Darn!

xyz wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
google

I have the newer 2700HG-B and seems to automatically recognize static IPs on its LAN. For example with a DHCP assigned range of .64-.253 and 2Wire LAN IP of .254 it recognized my Linux box with a static .1 IP. Although, Linux does not have samba running for a netbios (Windows networking) name, so I manually assigned its hostname in the 2Wire's Home Network summary. But for security through obscurity I am running a 172.16.0.0/255.255.255.0 LAN, so the 2Wire is 172.16.0.254. I had no trouble setting the 2Wire to forward SSH and Web Server ports to it.

Is your box with static IP able to access the internet (proper gateway and DNS manually set)?

However, if you have static IP plan from your DSL provider and are trying to do something with multiple public IP's, that is completely different.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Perhaps you could explain, what the problem is, and what are you meaning with "port fortwarding to a static address".

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

To start with, you will be making a core dump / coughing up a fur ball over this one.

This seems reasonable enough.

Here's what they did not tell you. Your ""Static Device"" needs to be DHCP. Rather your static device needs to be a "STICKY" device that the

2Wire assigns the ""Static IP"" to via MAC address. This way, when your device DHCPs, it will get the ""Static IP"" from the DHCP server. Seeing as how your device will be DHCPing, it will show up in the "Home Network List". Once you have your device showing up in the "Home Network List" you can easily port forward the traffic in to it.

Go core dump / cough up that hair ball. I know that I did when I heard this. I will also say that this is not based on my experience, but rather the experience of friend of mine who works for Sprint (now Embarq) who was evaluating 2Wire devices for deployment to subscribers. She and I had a LONG conversation regarding this as I could not believe it when she told me. Suffice it to say an argument ensued, I RDPed to her system to prove her wrong and was my self proved wrong.

I don't think there is any thing ""special about .33 - .62 other than those addresses are not assigned to the normal DHCP pool, thus it is safe to use them as ""static"" on your network.

Grant. . . .

Reply to
Taylor, Grant

Frant:

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, the device is not a PC, but is a customers HVAC /alarm system, which does not support DHCP, it only allows you to set an static IP and netmask from the keypad.

SO, Im stuck, right? Or am I missing the point here complely?

Reply to
google

Frant:

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, the device is not a PC, but is a customers HVAC /alarm system, which does not support DHCP, it only allows you to set an static IP and netmask from the keypad.

SO, Im stuck, right? Or am I missing the point here complely?

Reply to
google

Thanks for the response David. My comments are inline.

David Efflandt wrote:

Just curious, dd you purchase the 2700 directly, or was it provided by your ISP? (If so, who is your ISP?)

The device is an HVAC / Alarm controller. I cant really do anything from it, but it was "pingable" via the static address from another PC on the LAN once I set its static address.

RIght now it is a dyanamic address on the WAN side, but I plan on having the client request a static address from the ISP (AT&T California (SBC)), soon.

d.

Reply to
google

The 2700 was provided by ATT/Yahoo (formerly SBC).

I was going to say maybe it has to generate some network traffic to be seen.

When I upgraded my dynamic DSL (faster speed) I ordered the 2700 for only $30 (actually $79.99 w/$49.99 rebate). It has a setting to simply bridge through the 5 static IP's (which come in through single PPPoE connection). Then you would not have to worry about port forwarding, by may also need a NAT router for private LAN.

Reply to
David Efflandt

*sigh*

I do believe that the 2wire device is getting the better of you with this one. Sorry. I'll see if I can't get a hold of my colleague that old me what I told you and see if she ever found any different solutions.

Grant. . . .

Reply to
Taylor, Grant

Well I just got off the phone with my colleague. She has not found any way to do port mapping to static IP addresses. After many conversations with

2Wire, it was determined that this was a limitation of the 2Wire device's design / firmware.

Grant. . . .

Reply to
Taylor, Grant

Reply to
google

Reply to
google

I know this is really tardy reply, but I just use another router in the chain. (ie. connection to outside world > 2wire modem/router > Linsys router > computer.) That's if affordable, of course.

Reply to
waiting_2b_reborn

Tardyness is not an issue when trying to help someone. ;)

Yes, what you propose will work, if you can get the 2Wire to forward the traffic in to your second router. However this is (IMHO) extremely inefficient and sort of futile. Why not configure the 2Wire as a bridge and just use the other router that you have?

Grant. . . .

Reply to
Taylor, Grant

I have a 2Wire HomePortal 1000HG. Which is a DSL modem and a wireless router. There is no WAN port, but sports one Ethernet and one USB port for wired computers. I did for fun connect up my US Robotics wireless router to the Ethernet port and it did work that way. I didn't bridge them or anything.

And it looked like to me that the 2Wire treated the US Robotics router like a single computer. The plus side was there was two different signals for the other wireless computers to lock on too.

Although if I bridged them, don't you lose all all WiFi ability to the other wireless computers?

Btw, I don't normally have the US Robotics router connected, as the

2Wire does everything that router does anyway (minus a port for a printer).
Reply to
BillW50

Did you try port forwarding from the external DSL IP in to the internal US Robotics Wireless Router?

Was your US Robotics Wireless Router DHCPing or did it have a static IP? The OPs complaint was that s/he could not port forward correctly to an internal device that was not DHCPed from the 2Wire.

*nod* No matter how the US Robotics Wireless Router was connecting, static or dynamic IP, the 2Wire would correctly handle out bound connections. It was *inbound* connections that the OP was primarily concerned with.

As far as the two wireless signals to lock on to so long as you don't mind the network segmentation that would be caused by the US Robotics Wireless Router NAT routing for the computers behind it verses the computer(s) on the 2Wire wireless network, sure.

I do not know. I would think there would be two possible scenarios. Either the wireless would be bridged to the DSL modem, or it would be disconnected. I'm not sure what it would be.

*nod*

Grant. . . .

Reply to
Taylor, Grant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.