Using a single mode fiber cable for short distance

Hi all,

I am dimithri and I am trying find out if I can use a piece of single mode fiber to setup a network over 400m. I was told by a supplier that using a single mode fiber for such a short distance will cause data loss, however that particular information isn't reliable as he is trying to sell me a multi mode cable for the task. Therefore I would like to verify if indeed this is the case and what equipment I may require. The reason I am trying to use a single mode cable is that I already have a piece left over from another task. Also the network will be an Ethernet one therefore I am not sure what interface equipment is required from the Ethernet router to the optic cable.

_________ __________ ________ | | | | | | | | Fiber cable | | Fiber cable | | |computer1|---------------------| computer2 |------------------- | server | | | 400m | | 400m | | |________ | |__________ | |_______ |

Basically the above diagram shows what I want to do. My cable length is 840m. I want to get information from computer1 and 2 to the server.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dimithri

Reply to
Dimithri
Loading thread data ...

|
Reply to
Dimithri

| |

You can certainly use SM for this but the ethernet cards must be SM as well. If you are using existing ethernet cards then they are probably MM. MM cable is cheaper than purchasing new ethernet cards so I would go with new cable.

P. Danek

Reply to
danek

Is that true even when he needs almost 1 km of cable?

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hi all,

Thanks for the input so far....I don't have any fiber optic Ethernet equipment as of yet. All I have is the single mode cable. I will need

4 Ethernet to fiber converters (not sure what the exact name is) for single mode. If I go with the multi mode setup I would need 1km of cable aside from the converters. I am not sure how that works out, meaning if getting four MM converters and a cable is cheaper than getting 4 SM converter.

Thanks again, Dimithri

Reply to
Dimithri

Hi All

MM Fiber is 850nm and 1310nm , Usually Transmiss 550M, 1KM.. SM Fiber is 1310, 1550nm, Which mainly tranmiss 10KM, 20KM, 40KM,Even More...

I think it's better for you to get MM Conveters or MM SFPs. Whether your computer is connected with Switch ? ?

BR

Reply to
voeray

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.