Tolerable power loss in connector (heat generation)

Hello,

I am using a fiber pigtailed laser with a panda fiber and connect with an FC/APC to another panda fiber. Unfortunately I have a loss of about

4.5 to 5dB due to this connection. I have cleaned the fibers so I guess the loss is because of two different diameters. Here are my two questions:

1. How much power loss is tolerable in a connector? I am concerned about generating two much heat and damaging the fiber.

1. Is it reasonable to have such a high loss due to two different diameters in a panda fiber?

Thanks

Reply to
mmachtin
Loading thread data ...

There are only two reasons that you would have different diameter panda fibers; different wavelengths or switching between multimode and singlemode. In either case you could be loosing the power in the fiber not at the connection per say. You need to get a patchcord that is the same diameter as the laser one or you will always have this problem.

P. Danek

Reply to
danek

Heat generation is typically a problem for very high power, not typical communications signal levels. Are you using watts of power?

Reply to
John_H

However you can blow up the ends if they are FC/PC connections. You get a little piece of dirt in there and you have one nice Fabry Perot cavity!! Does a lovely job of blowing the fiber ends up.

P. Danek

Reply to
danek

Hello

Meanwhile I found out that the fibers have a different NA(0.19 vs

0.11) and a different core-diameter(12.5 vs 8.7). I guess that explains the loss. I intend to use up to 2W. Is it possible to buy a patchcord for differnt diameters and NA? I have tried to find one but I was't succesful. I would appreciate if someone could post a web address.

Thanks

Reply to
mmachtin

No they don't. You need someone who is a great splicer and has access to a high end splicer such as a Vytran. They can make a tapered core fuse when splicing the two ends together. (the places I used to deal with are now out of business so I can't help with that part of the problem) However, this will not totally solve your problem. There is a reason that the two fibers are a different size. You need to find out the wavelength for each fiber and if they are single mode or multimode. If you try and splice a 850 fiber to a 1550 fiber you will have problems even if you taper the cores together. The same with SM to MM. You will get loss into the cladding.

P. Danek

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de wrote:

Reply to
danek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.