The development trend for optical transmission equipment

Optical transmission equipment with broadband access and comprehensive service access has become the cosset in the most recent trend of development. On the one hand, products based on the PDH technique, which cost less than nine hundred USD, exhibit supreme inexpensiveness; on the other, the optical transmission equipment that develops on the basis of SDH technique, more often than not, is required by customers to be equipped with Ethernet interface or video frequency interface. As a typical PDH equipment, OM8E1PCM, produced by Heng Guang Technologies, Co., Ltd in Tianjin, China has integrated eight E1 channels, one 10/100BASE-T Ethernet channel, one NX64bps, V.35 channel and PCM30 with 30 channels. However, the exquisite equipment featured by its 2U height and 19- inch width costs only 1000 odd USD. (For more information about this equipment, please login

formatting link
.) Sometimes, the designer may consider to realize the functions of VDF, DDF and ODF on the PCM, so as to provide the most customized and convenient product to clients. Such equipment is various and multiform in configuration and modality, which includes the European 7R series and 19-inch configuration. At the same time, SDH equipment with E1 channel, 1000M Ethernet interface and multi-channel 100M Ethernet interface has been more and more popularized. The broadband interface usually will adopt automatic and dynamic distribution manner, such as RPR technique.

From the discussion above, we can safely draw the conclusion that,

low-priced optical equipment will be developed to include the comprehensive service access system. In addition to

10Base-T,100Base-T,1000Base-T with E1,E2,E3,T1,T2,T3 channels, 10/100 auto-adaptation Ethernet, G.703 V35 interface, V11/V24 interfaces, video frequency, even the SCADA system is about to be able to transmitted in one or two optical fibers.
Reply to
nonford
Loading thread data ...

Hi There,

First of all, let me tell you that there is absolutely nothing new in what you do claim to be "development trend" in optical networking. Every single newcomer in this industry should at least get a short overview of the past 30 years, for them to discover that every single technic which they claim to be "new" or "trendy" is actually 30 or 25 or 20 years old... Like, the first large scale field trial, back in

1973, when AT&T came up with a high-count ribbon-fiber cable, supporting voice, data, and images (if you ever thought 'TriplePlay' is a new stuff, think again !), in a metro network !

Second : you guy should keep in mind that advertising is strictly forbidden on Usenet, even when hidden behind nice blahblah...

Last : the next time you post an URL web link, please make sure there is no automatic download attached to it. I personaly don't mind, thanks to Mac OS X, but I'm affraid some of "standard" PC users will be badly surprised...

Thanks for applying the rules next time you come here, _Marc

nonford a =E9crit :

Reply to
miniotdr

While I agree that there's nothing really new in the universe, I think you'll find that AT&T in 1973 was still experimenting with helical waveguides, which eventually lost ground to fiber in the end. It wasn't until a decade later or so that they introduced the ribbon fiber you referenced. Fwiw.

Frank

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the note. Actually, I was refering to the field trial in Chicago in the late 70's, 1977 if i'm right. Sorry for the confusion w. '73 : I've been teaching Fiber Optics Technology during 15 years, but my memory starts some self-cleaning stuff !... Anyhow, a quick look at *the* bible - 'City of Light', by the marvelous Jeff Hecht - should give more details :

formatting link
on the Web.

Happy Holidays, _Marc

Reply to
miniotdr

Hi Marc, and Happy Holidays to You and All Here, too!

I generally agree with the time frames you cited for initial fiber trials. I left the Bell System after twelve years of dutiful service in

1977 and I recall the beginnings of f-o trials and pilot activities taking place at pre-divestiture Illinois Bell Tel Co (Chi-town) and Southern Bell (Atlanta) at that time. In serious contention with fiber, after the helical waveguide had been all but abandoned, was the T-4 system using PCM over coaxial tubes, which had been installed in a few high-density/short distance corridors up to that time. T4 was the original intended line data rate, which very few today know, and not T3. T3, in contrast, was relegated to an in-central office mux stage, only. It wasn't until fiber proved in that a new set of calculi pointed to T3 as the preferred rate of exhange between COs in the metro and different carriers in the long haul.

My other point, however, had to do with the timing of ribbon cable for long haul. I'm not certain about this, but I think it was sometime in '85 or '86 that AT&T's (not yet Lucent at the time) 144 fiber (12x12) ribbon cable was first introduced.

In any event, it was good to meet you (all). Thanks for the reply.

Frank

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
frank

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.