Splicing HI980 to HI1060

Dear all,

I'm trying to splice Corning HI980 to HI1060 using an Ericsson splicer. The MFDs are 4.2 and 5.9 um, but for some reason splice loss is always at least 3 dB. I already tried the obvious adjustments like arc current, arc time, and overlap, but nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have a hint?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave Kielpinski
Loading thread data ...

What sort of splice parameters are you currently using. Do you have a program for either one of these fibre types on its own.

The standard procedure for dissimilar fibre is to use a diffusion splice. Often this is used for splicing similar fibre to what you are using to Erbium doped fibre.

Fibrecore

formatting link
have some reasonable app notes that give the details of their recommended procedures for this. I'd use that as a starting point and see how you get on.

cheers

David

Reply to
DM

Thanks David. I have already tried an Er-type diffusion splice, but surprisingly it did not help. There is no problem splicing the HI980 to 980 Panda fibre using a standard SM-SM program. I guess the preset Er-SM program on the Ericsson is slightly different from what Fibrecore recommend - in particular, the arc current during the main fusion is not too much smaller than for the first "tacking" fusion. But I have varied the arc current and it doesn't help much.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Reply to
Dave Kielpinski

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.