SDH Interoperability.

Hi All

My question is regarding the inter-operability of SDH Systems from different vendors. I hope I have reached the correct forum....if not please ignore.

Here is the scenario:

1) Case 1: Nortel ADM -------Nortel Regenerator -------- Huawei ADM

2) Case 2: Nortel ADM -------Huawei Regenerator -------- Huawei ADM

In both cases, the SDH signal is STM-16.

Finally, is inter-operability the same thing as shown in the above cases or it points to a different layer of inter-working?

Thank to all.

Doma

Reply to
doma970
Loading thread data ...

There are problems:

The overhead SDH The management network

The regenerator is not the problem.

You can trie but if you have 2 SDH systems is more difficult than one SDH systems.

Buy a lot of coffee ;)

Reply to
Trantor

Hi Trantor

Thanks for the reply

You mentioned there could be 2 issues:

a) Overheads: My understanding is that all the overheads in SDH System are well defined and any vendor manufacturing SDH equipment has to comply with the ITU standards, ensuring that all the overhead bytes have same meaning and same number of bits. I believe there could be exceptions like national/country bits and vendor-specific bits but they do not matter much in the overall working of SDH.

b) The Management Network I understand the NMS/EMS may not work in this case but as a temporary measure, the individual nodes could be configured locally using there own management systems.

Considering the above details, could there be any problem in SDH traffic delivery? How about alarms? Please elaborate.

Any other expert in these matters is also welcome to participate.

Regards, Doma

Trantor wrote:

Reply to
doma970

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.