Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
March 20, 2006, 12:33 am
rate this thread
Could anyone let me know how to measure relative intensity noise using
spectrum analyzer. I got two sets of data and i couldn't relate those
two for measuring RIN.
1) I used 2 Ghz photodetector and then i used oscilloscoope to measure
ac-component which was 8 mV and dc component was 500 mV. I used
spectrum analyzer and the power at that particular frequency id -50dBm.
2)I used 45 Ghz photodetector and then i used oscilloscoope to measure
ac-component which was 5 mV and dc component was 10mV. I used spectrum
analyzer and the power at that particular frequency id -55dBm.
My question is: while measuring RIN = delta P/ Pavg. Is this delta P
is equal to -50 dBm or -55 dB or do i convert ac componet. Also, where
does frequency value come from in dB/Hz. Does it depend on
photodetector bandwidth or do i take 1Hz bandwidth.
IS Pavg =(Vdc)^2/50 ?
Could anyone please help
- » NYC local event: UNIGROUP 15-JUN-2017 (Thu) Meeting: Optical Fiber...
- — Newest thread in » Fiber Optics
- » NABET-CWA Members Win Largest Back Pay Settlement in NLRB History [telecom]
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » General Telecommunications Forum