problem with splicing 200micron fiber

Dear friends, I have a 200 micron fiber ( 200 micron core/ 220 micron clad/ 250 sheath) the splicing machine we have is capable of splicing the same. however we are unable to cut the fiber ( after removing the sheath) flat. The cleavers provided with the splice machine is meant only for 125 micron max. can anybody suggest a way to cut fiber flat..... also is it possible to use some laser to cut the fiber, for the same? regards Pandian, research scholar, Fiber optics, IGCAR, India

Reply to
pandianchangedforever
Loading thread data ...

For such a huge fibre I'd just try with a good old simple axe cleaver. Don't know if you still get them commonly anymore...wait a minute... one of my suppliers has something similar in a catalogue as cleave pens.

formatting link
FIS has several options
formatting link
see under tools- then scribe tools

This is basically a sharp sapphire blade in a handle.

with a bit of practice you can achieve reasonable perpendicular cuts. One clean touch of the blade to the fibre about 10-15mm from the fibre end then gently bend the fibre to encourage crack propagation.

Given that the fibres are highly multimode, as long as you have a reasonable cleave (not perfect) and good splice parameters for this fibre then the losses should still be OK

cheers

David

Reply to
DM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.