polarization maintaining fiber

Hi to all. I am a physicist, I worked mainly with free air setups, and few time ago I started to work to a new project, using fiber optics. I need to understand better the behavior of the polarization maintaining fiber. What I understood was that this fiber does is to impose to the light to propagate with linear polarization, and with a predetermined polarization direction.

In other words If I put a non polarized light in this fiber, it will attenuate all the other component, letting pass only the polarization component parallel to the principal (transverse) axes of it's asymmetrical core.

But I am suspecting that my understanding was wrong or imprecise.

Now, after some experiments, I am understanding that the PM fiber just "freezes" the polarization in the direction with which it comes in.

Could someone help me, either with an answer or with some documentation (a book, an article, a web page, a producer's white paper...)

thank you

Reply to
Fabio
Loading thread data ...

If you are familiar with free-space optics, then the best way to describe it is that PM fiber acts much like a multi-order quarter-wave-plate, not a polarizer. If the light enters the fiber with polarization along either the slow or fast axis (along the fiber key or perpendicular to it), it comes out unchanged. If not, the light exits the fiber with elliptical polarization that varies with temperature, vibration, etc.

There is usually some degree of coupling between the axes, so that it is difficult to have more than 25 dB polarization. You must take some care when coupling from free-space to PM fiber to maximize this.

Frank

Reply to
Lineshape

Hello,

You can find more on this topic in the "Encyclopedia of laser physics and technology" at

formatting link

R=FCdiger Paschotta RP Photonics Consulting GmbH

formatting link

Reply to
Paschotta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.