Optically Routed NOR Gate Array

A historical curiosity I guess. There was some work done in the mid fifties to early sixties on neon lamp/electroluminescent sources coupled with photoconductors to make logic gates. However none of the papers I have read so far show an array that is "routed." They also didn't have YouTube to make it as fun.

formatting link
I am routing with 1.5mm and 1.8 mm clear vinyl craft cord. It cuts with scissors and works well enough for short distances I am working with.

Happy to read any comments, suggestions of criticisms.

EdV

Reply to
EdV
Loading thread data ...

This does look pretty cool ! (but would look cooler yet if the camera was on a tripod :) My first thought was why it's not LEDs and photodiodes but then it wouldn't be 50's tech so neon lamps make perfect sense.

I'm curious how much current does the gate draw? Is it similar to or perhaps any better than the semiconductor equivalent? Considering that in an IC you usually get more gates than you need...

Oh, and now I known that clear vinyl craft cord makes a great lightguide. Sometimes an LED indicator is located on a PCB in an awkward place. I've used thin clear acrylic rods to bring the light up to the front panel but the vinyl cord seems to be flexing so much better yet still retain the light. My guess is that it is also cheaper or at least easier sourced than acrylic rod. I've got to try that!

------------------------------------- Best Regards, Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

formatting link
Cabling Guide, Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for premises cabling users and pros

Reply to
Dmitri(cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.