call for innovation(s)

Hi There,

Being an Fiber Optics Communications veteran, I am watching the actual FTTH networks' s rollout with the highest interest.

Among other things, there is one topic which is of concern to me : Testing. I am pretty convinced that the 20-yrs old technics used for acceptance testing of optical links are totally out of sight in the case of FTTH : doing OTDR measurements from the subscriber's house is definitely not the most cost-effective method for budget-pressured telcos ;-)

Hence the idea of mixing physical layer (read : fiber), protocol layer (read : IP), and applications layer (read : TriplePlay Services - telephone, internet, television) in one single test. In short : allow the technician who does the cabling to verify the ability of the link to carry the whole pack of the TriplePlay services.

Shall you be interested in sharing your own views/experience/feedback, please feel free to drop me an email at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Also, visit my blog at

formatting link
and read the post "Testing 2.0 : the Elevator Pitch" at
formatting link
Thank you in advance, _Marc

Reply to
miniotdr
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.