Want direct dialup access to my LAN

Hi. I have a Win 98 computer that I want to use on the road to dialup my Win XP Home computer that is connected to my LAN. The LAN is via a DSL modem router combo. When I dailup I am asked for the username, password and domain. For username and password, I use the same as I use to log ont Win XP. Is this correct? What do I use for domain? Where do I find the is domain name/number? When I do an ipconfig on the answering computer, I get: Connection-specific DNS Suffix : domain_not_set.invalid Is that okay? or can/should I set it? How? Once set, is that the domain I use to login from dialup?

Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
Harvey
Loading thread data ...

Note that this has nothing to do with ethernet. This is a Windows question.

That said, the "domain" you are looking for is the name of the XP machine.

M4

Reply to
Martijn Lievaart

This didn't work. what am I missing?

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

mostly all the details of what you are doing..... this time -

so... now you are attempting to "dial" from a Win98 computer to your Win XP computer.

ok - one at a time -

WinXP host - what is there to "answer" the call & connect ? What software configuration is used to setup the "answer" and "login" to the computer ?

Win98 client - what is used to dial out ? Are you dialing your XP computer directly, or attempting to dial into the Internet, and then connect to your XP computer ? Have you configured the Dial Up Networking (DUN) for the connection ? or are you using some other software to initiate the call to the host ?

Reply to
ps56k

BTW - you keep asking the same types of technical questions on how to connect to your camera box and think it is as simple as plugging in an AC extension cord...

IT IS NOT -

If you continually ask questions, with no specific technical details, how do you expect to get any kind of technical solution for your technical challenge of connecting to your "camera monitoring server" ?

Sure - we all learn as we go - but this latest "dialup" question indicates your lack of understanding of how computer communications really works and different technical solutions that are available.

Reply to
ps56k

Is it possible to connect to a server (with a dotted quad address) connected via Ethernet to a computer, by setting up that computer to answer a dial-up call (via 56k modem) from a computer calling it. That is dialing the computer directly, not through the Internet.

I understand that I can set up the "host" computer to answer an incoming call, but how do I then get the connection to another server through that connection?

Thanks so much for your help,

Harvey

Reply to
ps56k

here's a couple of other technologies...

this requires that your host computer be connected to the Internet, waiting, and the client computer be any computer connected to the Internet with a browser

formatting link
Other versions of "Remote Access & Control" software will require the software be installed at both Host and Client to achieve the dial-out and auto-answer functions + the desktop control. Some versions may not work on Win98

WinXP has a "hosting" feature called Remote Desktop Connection, but I believe that only the XP/pro version has it as a "host" function. Across my test LAN, I can connect from my test Win98 desktop to my test XP/pro laptop. However, it relies on the computers already being connected via some TCP/IP connection.

As you keep searching for some alternative to your "camera viewing" challenge, remember there are layers to the solution>

1 - the computers must be somehow physically connected (LAN, Internet, dialup, etc) 2 - once connected, they must share a common software remote access host/client technology 3 - that remote access technology must have the control or commands to allow your solution to work. 4 - given all the enabled communications, your specific "application" must be able to work

Since in all your postings, you've never really mentioned "how" you view your cameras, or why you say things are "slow" - then any solution is pretty much arbitrary.

If you can't answer each series of "communication layer" questions completely, then the next layer has no chance of working...

Reply to
ps56k

Yes, to learn about this.

Here are the requested details, but after carefully going through all this documenting, I tried one more thing and got this part to work. My password was blank and that is not acceptable. So with a password, THIS PART WORKS. (Skip to bottom for next question - I will leave all this in for the next person who may be helped by my struggles.)

Please forgive me for my irritating questions. I am trying to learn some basics before I get back to the camera setup. I realize that there are a host of things that I don't understand.

I am at home and have built a very simple telephone exchange simulator only for the purpose of experimenting and learning since I don't have two phone lines into my house and don't want to order another line just to experiment with. It works. That is I can call one computer from the other one using hyperterminal and the two modems do connect and I can type on one computer and it goes to the other and vice versa. Do you really need to know that? No, but if you're interested I can elaborate. It provides "battery" of 40 volts (below the nominal 48 or my actual tel line of 53.6, but it is enough) at the push of a button it provides 350Hz to the dialing computer to simulate a dial tone (which is supposed to be 350Hz plus 440Hz, but again it works. Once I hear the dialing, I push another button that provides 60Hz at

70VAC to the other modem for ring voltage, I would prefer 20Hz, but 60Hz is acceptable within the ringer spec. And again it works. I push the button twice for two rings and when I hear the first handshake tone, I flip a toggle switch to connect the two and the modems do the rest.

Now for my next attempt at learning I don't use hyperterminal.

I set up on the (answering) WinXP computer: Control Panel Network Connections Create a new connection [Next] Set up an advanced connection [Next] Accept incoming connections [Next] [check] Conexant D480 MDC V.9x Modem (the only item on list) Properties (used defaults) [Next] Allow virtual private connections (selected) (Is this what I want even though I am not using the Internet in this phase?) [Next] Users allowed to connect ( is checked) (Is this the name I use to logon with? The password is blank.) [properties] Full Name [Callback Tab] Do not allow callback (selected) [Next] [Start drop list] - TCP/IP is checked [properties] "Allow callers to access my local area network" is checked. What do I want for TCP/IP assignment? I have tried both. At the moment I have specify checked with from: 10.0.0.10 To:

10.0.0.20 (I have no idea what the range is for. I just followed an example from the Internet.) Do I want calling computer to specify its own address? - "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" is checked. [No properties] (The next 4 are checked in gray boxes. Why gray?) - Odyssey Network Agent is checked but the only active button below it is "Install..." (What is this?) [No properties] - Client for Microsoft networks is checked in gray box. [properties] RPC Server Windows Locator is selected. (only other option is DCE Cell Directory Service - Don't think I need that.) Network Address is blank and gray. - QoS Packet Scheduler [No properties] - Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 [No Properties]

Dialing directly via my TelCo Simulator. (Don't be troubled about that unless you have good reason to be.)

Not using any other SW, just the DUN.

Windows Explorer Dial Up Networking Make New Connection Type a name for the computer you are dialing: "DELL1150" Select a device: "HSP56 MR" (selected) (only other item on list is "Microsoft VPN Adapter" (Don't want this. Right?) [Configure] No changes - all default setting [Next] Phone number fields are all filled in (but they are ignored by my simulator) [Next] [Finish]

Then I start the dial up and type in the user name, (password is blank) and the domain is DELL1150 The username is the same as I use to logon to WinXP (no password) It immediately comes back and I try it again, then it says: "Error 691: The computer you have dialed in to has denied access because the username and/or password is invalid on the domain." And then the two computers hang up the line(s).

Next try added a password and all works.

So I have learned that I must set and use a password.

Now I can ping the 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.11 addresses. Can I now get access, like with a browser to my network? Or am I dreaming?

Thanks for your patience,

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

Well, yesterday I got it to work with no 3rd party SW using a direct dial up connection from one WinXP computer to another. The camera scanner box is connected to a LAN via a Linksys router. So my mission is accomplished with no expensive HW, SW or phone connections. I really do appreciate all the help from everyone on this group. And sorry for my ideas bouncing around while I sorted out all the possibilities. Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

(2nd try at this post) Well, yesterday I got it to work with no 3rd party SW using a direct dial up connection from one WinXP computer to another. The camera scanner box is connected to a LAN via a Linksys router. So my mission is accomplished with no expensive HW, SW or phone connections. I really do appreciate all the help from everyone on this group. And sorry for my ideas bouncing around while I sorted out all the possibilities. Harvey

Reply to
Harvey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.