vlans - monitoring bandwidth utliization

in a simple non-vlan network, I can pretty well tell how the Ethernet is being utilized by a variety of techniques - passive & proactive...

But - after splitting things up into vlans, how can I measure that utilization of the physical Ethernet ?

I mean, if I have taken the physical LAN and carved out a vlan, how can I then see the real physical utilization of the Ethernet connection since all the packets are still going down that single 10/100mbit cable ?

Must I deploy a monitoring technique on EACH vlan or is there a way to basically still see the real utilization of the physical connection ?

Reply to
Phil Schuman
Loading thread data ...

Using VLANs won't change the way you measure the utilization of the physical Ethernet. You could still use the counters that count the number of frames/bytes transmitted over a period of time to get the utilization.

As long as you don't care about the utilization by each VLAN, your current techniques should continue to work just fine. If you want to know utilization by VLAN and/or priority, that becomes trickier because you need to find a switch that maintains frame/byte counters on a per VLAN and/or per priority basis.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

yes, u will have to deploy a monitoring technique on EACH vlan. most of the commercial products in market use this technique.

like for example: on some devices u can enable per-vlan-stats for a particular 10/100/Gig link

Phil Schuman wrote:

Reply to
gagan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.