VLAN woes...

Hi,

If I have a router with a gigabit port assigned both 192.168.10.1 VLAN ID 10 and 192.168.20.1 with VLAN ID 20. I connect a cable from this router port to port 1 on a D-Link DGS-1216T managed switch.

I create two VLANs in this switch, VLAN ID 10 where ports

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 are members and VLAN ID 20 where ports 1,10,11,12,13,14,15 and 16 are members. Note that port 1 is a member in both VLANs.

Can I now connect computers which don't know anything about VLANs to these switch two port ranges and automatically be connected to the appropriate router subnet according to the switch port, or isn't this possible? If not I assume that I also need to tag the workstations' nics with the correct VLAN ID, but I hope this is not necessary.

Thanks a lot of someone can enlighten me on VLAN principles..

/geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn
Loading thread data ...

Your clients probably expect frames without a vlan tag, so no; you should configure those ports to merely be a switchport in a vlan and the NICs should receive untagged frames.

The one port that has two vlans, though, should be configured for sending and receiving frames with vlan tags in them. That way, the switch can use the tags in the frames to sort out what vlan the frames belong to. It does mean the switch gets to add or remove the tags as needed, depending on what port the frame passes through.

Note that one vlan on such a port can be implicit, or ``native'', meaning that frames without a tag are assumed to belong to that vlan. You would have to configure that on both the switch and the router.

Reply to
jpd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.