VLAN basics help

Greetings,

We are facing the following problem:

We have several independent groups of computer. Each group of computers (about 2- 4 computers) is connected to a different router (we use home routers such as Linksys, Netgear, etc).

In many cases we need to perform some operations on the router (operations such as "port forwarding", password changing, etc). The way we do it right now, is we physically take one of our laptops, connect the laptop to the router, and log in the router to perform the operations needed.

We are looking for a more convenient way to do this. Ideally we would like to have one dedicated computer that can access all the routers without the need to change wires. We read somewhere that a VLAN switch can be used here and were wondering if that is true? Is it possible to connect all the routers and the dedicated computer to a VLAN switch and then programmatically configure the VLAN switch to connect port "x" to port "y"? If so, do we need a specific VLAN switch or any kind can be used?

My apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

Reply to
baronadav
Loading thread data ...

A switch supporting VLANs could be do the trick, but there are security implications. It's not clear what your network does. A simple network diagram would he helpful, as well as an explanation for why you have the network configuration you have.

Reply to
Elvey

Hi,

You are not on wrong position here thsi is the right place to askthsikindaa questions for solutions

What you need is one cisco L3 Switch on whih you will create a VLAN DATABASE and then connect diffrent groups switch to the VLAN memebership port of L3 switch.

I would like to ask yuo some questions.

1.Are you using Internet?
  1. If yes then how? Pleae give us rough network diagram.
  2. R the diffrent groups communicating with eachother.

For L3 switch you can have:CISCO Catalyst 3560 Series Switch.

CK

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
CK

I see no need to spend thousands when one could spend hundreds for equipment with the features the OP indicated were needed, and a better UI.

Reply to
Elvey

What is OP ???

And yes one L3 Switch can be enough for VLAN basic Setup.

CK

Reply to
CK

OP is "original poster".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks Walter

I didnt know that.

CK

Walter Robers> >

Reply to
CK

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.