Valid mac address

Is 00 00 00 00 00 00 a valid mac address which could be subjected to learning and forwarding ?

Thanks in advance Srinivas

Reply to
Srinivas
Loading thread data ...

No.

But that doesn't mean that misconfigured or malfunctioning equipment will never generate it.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

There is nothing syntactically *invalid* about that address, either as a SA or a DA. However, since the OUI 00-00-00 has not been assigned to any equipment manufacturer, no device should be using it. That said, it is possible that a device may emit frames to/from that address under fault conditions (e.g., the device is broken in some fashion), so a *receiver* (e.g., a bridge or end station) should be prepared to deal with frames sent to/from the address, and not produce undesirable results.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Didn't some antique machines, I dimly remember Suns perhaps, use the all 0s MAC address as a broadcast address?

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

Didn't some antique machines, I dimly remember Suns perhaps, use the all 0s MAC address as a broadcast address?

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

Also, some higher layers assume that the all-zero address is a place holder for an unknown MAC address.

Hmmm, interesting,

formatting link
that 00-00-00 is allocated to Xerox, and
formatting link
appears to imply that only 01-80-C2-00-00-00 to 01-80-C2-00-00-0F are reserved as not-to-be-forwarded by MAC bridges.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Albert Manfredi wrote: (snip)

(snip)

SunOS by default uses the 0 broadcast IP address. That is, all 0 for the host part instead of the more usual all ones. Manually setting the broadcast address on ifconfig fixes it.

As I understand it, using this on a normal network can generate broadcast storms.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

I believe that that "assignment" is simply a placeholder; Xerox "assigned" it to itself (and never used it) because RFC1042 specifies the use of the 00-00-00 OUI for SNAP encapsulation of Ethernet Type fields. At the time of RFC1042 (the early 1980s) there was no better "authority" to assign it to.

That is correct; this address block includes the multicasts used for the Spanning Tree Protocol and PAUSE flow control.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Minor nit - as of 802.1ad, some of these addresses are specified as non-reserved for provider bridges - they get forwarded just like regular multicast frames in the S-VLAN component of provider bridges.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

I once knew a net that had such a device. As there was only one, the decision was to just leave it alone. One possibility is an address stored in EEPROM that gets cleared and no new address set.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Occasionally a vendor will forget to program the MAC address for a card (or run of cards) and then it'll sometimes come up as all zeros.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.