Utilities to Test Gigabit Ethernet

We are putting in gigabit ethernet. In trying to test the speed of the links in individual rooms, it quickly became apparent that we are bottlenecked on things like the speed of the hard drive that receives the files being copied from a server. We never got utilization much above

19%, with occasional periods of 0% between the peaks on a long copy.

Does anyone make a utility that will allow two computers connected through a gigabit ethernet infrastructure to saturate the pipe in order to test the actual capacity and throughput of the gigabit network? I assume this would be some kind of peer to peer application that would just exchange specific repeatable byte sequences between the two computers from memory, never using disk.

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

That's about all I get with reasonably modern WinDoze machines on a gigabit segment.

ttcp, or the WinDoze version ttcpw

[I hope this isn't the only qualification you are doing on your new network...]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Someone mentioned ttcp already. You could also use the effective replacement, netperf .

Reply to
Walter Roberson

formatting link
Two choices - if you just want individual connection results between a pair of machines go with "netperf2"

formatting link
If you want to run multiple, aggregate, synchronized connections go with "netperf4"

formatting link
Either should be able to compile on just about anything - Windows, Unix, Linux etc. If you run into difficulty there is the netperf-talk mailing list hosted on netperf.org.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Will wrote in part:

ttcp

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

If you are happy using precompiled windows version you should try version 2 of iperf, (kperf) it provides provides nice graphs, can do multicast and bidirectional testing as well.

This executable requires java version 1.4 or above installed on the windows box

formatting link

garry

Reply to
garry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.