TTCP results on Gigabit network

I am getting 45,579 KB/sec now (I just upgraded to Gigabit network), what are you getting ?

Before I was getting 11,603 KB/sec on 100 MBit network, so improvement is about 4x, copying 4.5 GB file takes 2 min 28 sec now vs 7 min 30 sec then. Looks good.

But I was wondering about my TTCP results - is it as good as it gets ? I am running Window XP on both computers, one is 3.6 GHz Pentium 4 with on-board Gigabit network adapter, another - 1 GHz Pentium III with PCI Gigabit network adapter. I was saturating my 100 Mbit connection at ~95% with TTCP, and Gigabit connection is only saturated at ~30-35%. I was kind of expecting to saturate Gigabit network to higher %, but CPU load on slower PC is about 65%, so it could be a bottleneck now (CPU load at faster PC is about 15%)

I was thinking if switching to CAT 6 would give any noticeable improvement (running CAT 5E now)

Reply to
John_Doe
Loading thread data ...

At the speed you're showing the PCI bus is the bottleneck. CAT6 will give no improvement unless your CAT5E cables are broken in some fashion.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.