Transferring parallel signal through CAT5E

Anyone know how to send an 8 wire parallel signal through CAT5E about

200ft?

I need to send the parallel signal from switch box and receive the signal into a computers parallel port.

The wiring I have setup is correct and will work through CAT5E on a short run (3ft).

On the long run the signal doesn't make it, I'm open to any suggestions using some kind of a converter Parallel to Ethernet then back to parallel, multiple parallel signal boosters, etc...

I cannot use RS-232 since most of the converters only allow 3 wire transfer and connot translate back to Parallel.

If anyone has suggestions or I should post in a different group please let me know.

Thank you

Reply to
ckramer7070
Loading thread data ...

First, you want one twisted pair per signal line.

Second, you want it properly terminated on both ends. (Well, probably the receiving end is good enough.)

Third, you need drivers that can get the signal that far.

Fourth, you need differential receivers.

You could use something like the 74128 TTL 50 ohm line driver. That is designed to drive unbalanced lines, but two with opposite polarity should drive Cat5E just fine.

The TI 75113 and 75114 are actually designed as differential

100 ohm drivers, so that would be a better choice.

The 75115 seems to be the matching receiver, supply your own

100 ohm terminating resistors.

It depends a lot on what data rate (or transition edge rate) you need.

The 75114 and 75115 pair will probably run up to 20 or 30 MHz.

For slower rates, you could use RS422 drivers and receivers, such as the DS26C31 and DS26C32.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Didn't any of you youngsters ever hear of 20ma current loop for teletypes and, in modern times, the 1970s, UART chips. Google gets many hits and it wouldn't suprise me if Radio Shack had the parts.

formatting link

Reply to
Al Dykes

Back in the day of mini-computers, (when real programmers were ...), there were lots of folks selling devices to allow a parallel printer to run long distance. Some used RS-232 signaling, other did their own thing. I'd look at Black Box first. They don't make much of anything they sell but they brand lots of things as Black Box. If you see it there, you can likely find it somewhere else and if not just get it from them. I'd also search for "parallel to serial converters".

I used a few such things over the years. (the 80s)

Reply to
DLR

Go to

formatting link
and look up their Model # 1226

Reply to
Reed

Black Box makes an adaptor that will send parallel signals to 2000'

formatting link
Not a bad price for it, and it should do what you need.

Reply to
Mark J

Great, it looks all of your recommendations are a close fit to my application. I wasn't in the electronics game in the 80's, more involved in little league so please excuse my inexperience on this matter. I am waiting on a quote from data-connect for the Patton 1226, if this is too expensive I will purchase a couple of the Black Box adapters and try them first. It looks like the parallel line drivers from Patton and Black Box are the same product but the Black Box is less costly.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Reply to
ckramer7070

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.