To compute number of Good symbols

Hello -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A. What would be total number of Symbols that can be Received in 1 sec , for 100Mbs, 1000Mbps PHY? Would this depend on the media whether it is Copper of Fiber ?

My understanding is that it would depend on the media, as the Encoding/Decoding schemes are different- for 1000B-T which uses 4PAM-5 , and 1000B-X uses

8B/10B.

Could the experts please comment on the above ?

As per my calculation for 1000BASE-X Fiber media which uses 8B/10B encoding

1. For every 8 bits of data 10 symbols are used , so in 1 sec for
1000Mbps it would Receive 1250MSymbols. Is this number right ?

1. For 1000BASE-T what would the total number of symbols that can be Received in 1Sec?

I would appreciate corrections/comments on the above or any pointers .

Thanks Kott

Reply to
Kott
Loading thread data ...

Hello - Any corrections/comments/respones on the below query would be appreciated ?

Kott

Kott wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Kott

Sounds very much like homework. Most USENET groups frown on dong student's homework.

Kott wrote in part:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.