Superstack woes

I run the computers at a small school near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Recently I was given a set of Superstack 2 switches, one with a matrix module. I found matrix cables on ebay.

Having my switches work as a single unit has made logins work much better.

This morning however I had an wierd event. Two switches dropped offline. From the master switch, doing system->inventory showed units 1 and 4 as operational, but units 2 and

3 were absent. Doing a system reset did nothing. Doing a power cycle fixed the problem, but I don't know what just happened, nor why.

What do I need to look for to determine what just happened?

Second event: I have spanning tree disabled, because enabling it means that computers doing a PXE boot don't get a response to their dhcp request. If that fails, and they boot off the local hard disk, the dhcp request that comes when the OS boots works just fine.

I would like to put in some redundent links between switches, but with STP this is a noshow. What is my best solution to have PXE work, along with spanning tree?

Reply to
SGBotsford
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.