Suggest a media converter?

I have a traffic generation device which has plenty of 10/100 copper ports available, but the receiving device only has gig fiber ports. I don't need to generate lots of traffic, 100Mbps is much more than adequate.

I'm searching for the best switch (new or used) which could be used for this type of media conversion.

Ideally, I'd like a switch with the same number of gig ports as 10/100 ports. Generally the ratio is much different (eg, 24:2 or 12:1).

Any suggestions for a candidate device?

[I realize tecnically it isn't a true 'media converter' in the sense that they're using different speeds and hence 'switch' is the more correct term. However, 'media conversion' really is the only thing I'll use it for, and I won't be pumping data back to the 10/100 port at anything greater than a few Mbps, so I'm not concerned about oversubscribing in that direction.]

Thanks,

-Bob Andover, MA

Reply to
tsreyb
Loading thread data ...

I haven't purchased a lot of equipment from these people but what I have purchased has been excellent. You also don't say if your application is for a big hairy commercial application or more in line with SOHO systems.

formatting link
Click on the fiber section.

The above company beats the hell out of Netgear, Lynksys etc. but I wouldn't put them >

Reply to
Tom B

Actually I know of a company that has some of the best premium prices that are lower then Trendnet and the rest and has been in the business for over 10 years. Its got great prices and the gear is good.

Heck I work for it :) Was doing market research and came upon your message. Not a pitch but we have media converters selling for $59 onwards which might suit your needs. I've been here for 2 years and I have NEVER seen a media converter RMA returned to us for repairs and etc and we sell alot of these.Take a look and see.

formatting link
Others please forgive me for my shameful pitch...:::bows head and dodges away:::

Reply to
MikeEngineerVersa

The bummer is the large number of fiber ports. The only thing that comes into my mind are modular switches. E.g. a HP41xx with two 6-fold SFP modules and the 20+2 Gig blade, resulting in 14 fiber and 20 copper ports. This is not paticularly cheap, especially if you are not a HP-shop with bundle-leftovers available. In addition, building fiber-copper pairs, you will not achive tranparency for tagged frames.

Reply to
Manfred Kwiatkowski

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.